Dispute with your landlord

If you have problems with your property or tenancy, first try to discuss the problem with your property manager or landlord. If this doesn’t work, write to your property manager or landlord setting out the problem and seeking a response within a reasonable timeframe.

If you cannot come to an agreement there are legal procedures outlined in the Residential Tenancy Act to resolve problems between landlords and tenants. If you need assistance with understanding your rights and responsibilities, you can get help from:

Your dispute may need to be resolved in a Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and you will need to be prepared before you go to a hearing to achieve the best outcome. The Tenancy Union has a guide for going to VCAT.

Dispute with a housemate

Disputes between co-tenants are not covered in the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 and therefore advice cannot be provided through Tenants Union Victoria and Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal. We suggest that you talk in confidence to a Student Support Advisor at RMIT Connect to discuss ways to resolve the issue or apply to receive mediation through the Dispute Settlement Centre.