Rental advice and support

Know your rights and responsibilities when renting, sharing or living in student accommodation.

Tenancy advice

To ensure you have stable accommodation while you’re studying, it’s important you understand how leases, bonds, inspections, maintenance and repairs work in Victoria. 

If you’re having tenancy issues or have questions about your rights, Student Welfare Advisors at Student Connect can help. The RMIT Student Legal Service also provides free, confidential advice on renting and tenancy issues.

Tenants Victoria provides free and confidential advice on renters’ rights via phone and email. They also produce guides for renters in multiple languages. These guides provide information about:

For information and advice on common tenancy issues, explore other Tenants Victoria guides

Consumer Affairs Victoria also provides information and advice on renting, including how to avoid rental scams.

Financial assistance -rebates

If you are experiencing housing difficulties or are at risk of becoming homeless, talk to a Student Welfare Advisor about your options, including Hardship Assistance Grants.

The Australian and Victorian governments also offer relief schemes and loans to people experiencing financial hardship, including:

Crisis accommodation support

If you are experiencing housing difficulties or are at risk of becoming homeless, talk to a Student Welfare Advisor about your options, including Hardship Assistance Grants.

If you are experiencing homelessness or need urgent help, call the Victorian Statewide Homelessness Line on 1800 825 955 (free call number, open 24-hours). Your call will be directed to the housing service closest to you. If the call is outside business hours, you will be directed to an after-hours service.

If you are experiencing family violence, contact Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre for advice and support, including emergency accommodation.

Ask Izzy is a resource that connects people in crisis with services close to them. It is free and anonymous.

Australian residents may be eligible for Centrelink payments and services, including crisis supportCommunity Engagement Officers assist people experiencing homelessness or housing crisis in accessing Centrelink payments and services.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.