About our service
Who can use the Counselling service?
Privacy and confidentiality
All our counsellors are registered psychologists, provisional psychologists, or social workers and are subject to either the Psychology Board of Australia's Code of Ethics and the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Victoria) Act 2009, or the Australian Association of Social Workers' Code of Ethics. Your information can only be released to a third party if:
- it is to be used to protect you or others from harm, or
- a court order is produced, or
- you have provided written permission to do so.
You have the right to access your personal information at any time, subject to some exceptions. If you would like to access your personal information, speak to your counsellor.
To ensure that we have accurate information, please keep us up to date with changes to your personal details.
We can refer you to other specialist services if:
- you request help with finding a specialist
- after discussion and assessment, counselling is not the most suitable service for you
- there are other forms of professional support that may meet your needs.
We can make referrals to other specialist services:
- within RMIT
- external to RMIT
Please note: we will always discuss the referral with you, and if appropriate, continue to meet with you until the referral is organised.
We keep up-to-date with metropolitan services and private psychologists. We can also make enquiries for services in rural and regional Victoria, interstate, and sometimes overseas.