Student Travel Insurance

RMIT students travelling on an approved Global Experience receive complimentary travel insurance.

If your approved Global Experience is longer than 365 consecutive days please contact for authorisation.

Got to the Student Travel Insurance page for more details on coverage and information on how to lodge a claim

Electronic devices

There is no cover under this policy for lost or stolen mobile phones or tablets.

There is a $1000 excess payment for claims of lost or stolen laptops.

Students should consider whether their home contents insurance can be endorsed to cover phones, tablets or laptops carried outside the home.

Visa letters

If you require a travel insurance confirmation letter to obtain a visa please contact with the following information:

1. Your full name as it appears on your passport
2. Your student number
3. Travel dates (a copy of your itinerary) or departure and return dates from Australia
4. Any special insurance requirements noted in your visa application

Please allow 3 business days for processing.

Returning to your home country

Travel insurance cannot cover medical expenses in the country of which you are a permanent resident or citizen. If for example, you are returning to your home country to complete a Work Integrated Learning placement, internship or other approved activity you will not be able to lodge a claim for medical expenses incurred in that country. Other elements of cover still apply such as lost luggage, flight or accommodation cancellation costs.

Student Personal Accident

All enrolled full and part time undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as club members of RMIT University are insured while on official University activities. 

The scope and benefits are limited by law and cannot cover Medicare related expenses or the Medicare gap payment. This policy is not designed to replace your private health insurance and the University recommends students take out the own Ambulance and Private Health cover.

If you are injured while on campus, or travelling directly to or from an official University activity including Work Integrated Learning activities, placements or internships or club activity then you may be eligible to make a claim.


GPA Claim Form

Contact to lodge your claim

Work Integrated Learning (WIL), Internships, Placements and Volunteering

Students on approved WIL activities, including internships and placements are covered by a variety of University insurance policies. 

Students on WIL activities should ensure that they are following the Work Integrated Learning guideline and complete the appropriate WIL agreement. 

Your WIL agreement may call for evidence of specific insurance policies. You can find a range of Certificates of Currency in the forms section below.

Common insurance for WIL activities includes Public Liability and Professional Indemnity.

Contact your WIL Coordinator or visit here.


Certificate of Currency – Public and Products Liability $10M

Certificate of Currency – Public and Products Liability $20M

Certificate of Currency – Professional Indemnity


Students on outside, clinical or practical placement (practicum), or undertaking work experience or voluntary work are NOT covered by WorkCover or Workers compensation insurance.

Students are not employees of the University and are therefore not covered, and by law cannot be covered, under the University's WorkCover arrangement.

Students on paid internships may be covered by their host employers WorkCover insurance and this should be clearly covered in the agreement or contracts exchanged.

Students injured whilst on campus or off campus participating in official RMIT activities such as volunteering or work placement may be eligible to claim under our Personal Accident Cover.

WorkCover at RMIT is handled by HR. Contact for WorkCover enquiries and advice. 

Clinical Placement and Clinical Trials

If you are undertaking clinical placement outside the University clinical setting please contact to ensure you will be covered by the appropriate insurance.

If you are conducting clinical trials that have not been declared as part of the insurance renewal process contact to ensure you will be covered by the appropriate insurance.