Key selection criteria
Tip one: prepare
- Analyse each of the selection criteria to work out what the employer wants.
- Brainstorm, considering your experience in different parts of your life eg study, employment, industry placements, volunteer work etc.
- Seek advice from someone in your network or from a Careers Consultant for the criteria that seem challenging to meet.
Tip two: write
Provide evidence to support your examples.
You can use the STAR model to help in structuring your answer, which consists of:
Situation: describe the setting
Task: outline what you needed to do
Action: explain how you went about it
Result: describe the outcome.
- Be specific and include measurements of your achievements, such as percentages of increased sales, or the amount of time saved by a process you streamlined.
- Write it up as a separate document for a public sector job application, or insert the examples into your draft resume and cover letter.