All RMIT University students traveling overseas on an approved global experience receive complimentary travel insurance.
How do I get covered?
If you’re registered in the online application portal Mobi, you will already be covered.
If you aren’t already registered in Mobi – you will have to register to get covered.
Once you have your itinerary, your travel details must be registered with MyTrips.
How long am I covered for?
You are covered up to 180 days. If your program is longer than this, for example a year-long exchange, you will have to let RMIT Insurance know via email email@example.com
You will be covered for holiday travel in addition to your RMIT program, either before or after your program as long as your trip does not exceed 180 days.
What am I covered for?
Read the Global Experience Student Travel Insurance Summary for an overview of the insurance policy coverage.
What am I not covered for?
The travel policy explicitly excludes mobile phones and tablets. There is a $1,000 excess fee for claims involving laptops and personal computers. If you want these items covered, you must purchase additional insurance with another provider.
Other exclusions include:
- Engaging in air travel except as a passenger in any properly licensed aircraft;
- Any deliberately self-inflicted injury, including suicide or attempted suicide;
- A sexually transmitted disease, or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection;
- Any criminal or intentional illegal act.
I have a pre-existing medical condition. What should I do?
To make sure you are covered, you must declare any pre-existing medical condition at least 10 working days prior to your departure. RMIT Insurance will inform insurers who will make a determination whether, while you are travelling, the policy will cover claims arising from, or as a result of, your pre-existing condition. You may be required to provide insurers copies of medical advice from your doctor, stating your condition should not prevent you travelling.
What if I have a question?
Contact the Global Experience Office firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I make a claim?
- Please remember to sign 'Section Twelve: Declaration' on page 5
- Ensure that the appropriate bank account details are input for repayment
- Please ensure you retain all original documentation to enable production upon request at any stage of the claim process.
Key supporting documents
Varies according to the claim type and includes, but not limited to:
A copy of your Mobi registration (not just the application) for all claims
A copy of your itinerary showing travel dates etc.
Proof of payment for claimed expenses (paid invoices, receipts)
Full medical or doctor reports for a medical condition or injury – this is to establish eligibility and that it is not a pre-existing condition
Proof from prior claim attempts with airlines, hotels etc. of unsuccessful attempts to claim elsewhere
- Police reports relating to accidents, theft or criminal activity.
Submit your claim to:
Telephone: +61 2 9251 8700
Please quote policy number: 41443