Academic statement authentication

Some foreign governments require proof that your documents are genuine. Find out how to get your academic statements authenticated via DFAT.

Some foreign governments may want proof that the signatures of Australian officials on documents are genuine before they can be accepted. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) legalisation services provides an Authentication Certificate and/or Apostilles.

For more information, see the DFAT: Apostilles and authentications or the Smartraveller: Legalising documents.

How to get your academic statement authenticated

Before you submit your RMIT academic statement/s to DFAT, they must be verified as a ‘True and Correct Copy’ by authorised RMIT staff.

To have your academic statement verified, email a PDF copy of your academic statement/s to

RMIT will provide verification by return email. This email must be submitted with your academic statement/s to DFAT. RMIT does not charge for this service.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), through the Australian Passport Office, will certify that a signature, stamp or seal on an official Australian public document is genuine.

For information about how to submit your documents to DFAT and fees and charges, go to Smartraveller: Legalising documents.

Need help?

For more information, contact Student Connect.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.