How you could pay off your fines with a Work Development Permit

How you could pay off your fines with a Work Development Permit

Do you have fines or infringement notices? You could be eligible for a Work Development Permit (WDP) to use your attendance in class to pay off your fines!

What kind of fines?

Any fines that are registered with Fines Victoria like:

  • Myki fines
  • Red-light camera fines*
  • Speeding fines*
  • Parking fines

*Demerit points will still be issued by VicRoads

Who is eligible?

You are currently studying at RMIT and any one or more of the below apply to you:

  • a mental disability or illness;
  • an intellectual disability or illness;
  • substance addiction, drugs or alcohol;
  • experiencing homelessness;
  • experiencing financial hardship- on a Centrelink payment or very low income; and/or
  • are experiencing or have experienced family violence.

How do I ‘work off’ my fines?

RMIT is an approved sponsor and attending your classes is an approved activity to ‘work off’ the fines as a rate of $57.69 per/hour.

How do I get help?

Get in touch RMIT Student Legal Service to discuss all your legal options in relation to your fines or talk to a RMIT Connect Student Welfare Advisor about the WDP.

21 March 2023


More student news

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.