Tenancy advice

To ensure you have stable accommodation while you’re studying, it’s important you understand how leases, bonds, inspections, maintenance and repairs work in Victoria. 

If you’re having tenancy issues or have questions about your rights, Student Welfare Advisors at RMIT Connect can help. The RMIT Legal Service also provides free, confidential advice on renting and tenancy issues

Tenants Victoria provides free and confidential advice on renters’ rights over phone and email. They also produce guides for renters in multiple languages, including:

For information and advice on common tenancy issues, explore other Tenants Victoria guides

Consumer Affairs Victoria also provides information and advice on renting, including how to avoid rental scams.

Financial assistance

If you are experiencing financial hardship, Student Welfare Advisors at RMIT Connect can talk to you about your options.

The Australian and Victorian governments also offer relief schemes and loans to people experiencing financial hardship, including:

Crisis support

If you are experiencing housing difficulties or are at risk of becoming homeless, Student Welfare Advisors at RMIT Connect can talk to you about your options.

If you are experiencing homelessness or need urgent help, call the Victorian Statewide Homelessness Line on 1800 825 955 (free call number, open 24-hours). Your call will be directed to the housing service closest to you. If the call is outside business hours, you will be directed to an after-hours service.

If you are experiencing family violence, call safe steps Family Violence Response Centre on 1800 015 188 (free call number, open 24-hours) for advice and support, including emergency accommodation.

Ask Izzy is a resource that connects people in crisis with services close to them. It is free and anonymous.

Australian residents may be eligible for Centrelink payments and services, including crisis supportCommunity Engagement Officers help people experiencing who are experiencing homelessness or housing crisis access Centrelink payments and services. RMIT also provides financial assistance to students experiencing hardship, which can be used for housing establishment costs.