Exchange and study abroad enrolment guide – Outbound students

For RMIT students approved to undertake study at an overseas institution.

There are two ways students can study overseas – exchange and study abroad. How you enrol will depend on whether or not RMIT has an exchange agreement in place with the overseas institution at which you are studying. This will affect what your resposibilities are. Please select the option that is relevant to your circumstances:

  • Exchange – for students studying at an overseas institution with which RMIT does has an exchange agreement
  • Study abroad – for RMIT students studying at an overseas institution with which RMIT does not have an exchange agreement.


As an outbound exchange student, you’ll study at an overseas institution with which RMIT has a reciprocal exchange agreement. You pay tuition fees to RMIT for your overseas studies.

Once approved for student exchange, it’s your responsibility to ensure you’re correctly enrolled at RMIT for the semester/s that you’ll be studying overseas.

Before you enrol and go on exchange, you must:

  • Receive approval of your Study Plan from your RMIT School

Step 1. Drop your RMIT classes

Drop your on-campus courses (RMIT classes) via Enrolment Online.

Step 2. Enrol in exchange courses

Enrol in school-specific exchange courses (EXTL classes) via Enrolment Online in a full-time course load for your exchange semester.

General enrolment information

You must be enrolled in a full-time course load (36-48 credit points each semester) for the duration of your exchange program. This is a requirement of your exchange and often a visa regulation of the destination country.

The equivalence of a full-time course load can vary across partner institutions. As different institutions around the world use different credit points to RMIT, review the general overview of credit transfer systems and contact the Global Experience Office if you require specific advice.

Please note, you must comply with all RMIT enrolment procedures and deadlines while overseas, including census dates.

If you require additional enrolment advice (for example about planning your program around your exchange semester), please contact Student Connect

If you’re a College of Design and Social Context student, for additional enrolment advice contact the College of Design and Social Context.

School-specific exchange course codes

Each RMIT school has its own set of course codes (e.g. EXTL1234) in which you will be required to enrol. Exchange course codes always start with EXTL. Each course code is worth 12 RMIT credit points and you must enrol in a minimum of three EXTL courses while you’re on exchange. Select the school-specific codes in the order that they are presented until you achieve a full-time course load. It’s not possible to enrol in the same exchange course code more than once.

Use the 'Exchange Course Code Search' to find the codes associated with your program School at RMIT.

Going for two semesters?

Students starting their exchange in July (RMIT Semester 2) will need to enrol in their second semester of exchange study (RMIT Semester 1 of the following academic year) via Enrolment Online once the Semester 1 enrolment period opens in October.


Your host institution will provide the Global Experience Office with an official copy of your transcript, which will state the courses and grades that you obtained while on exchange. The Global Experience Office will send this to your RMIT School so that grades can be entered for your exchange courses.

It’s recommended that you also order a personal copy of your exchange transcript directly from your host institution.

Study abroad

Study abroad involves studying at an overseas institution with which RMIT does not have a reciprocal exchange agreement.

As a study abroad student you are responsible for:

  • Submitting your study abroad application to Global Mobility within the deadline set by your overseas institution
  • Understanding the application process and liaising directly with your overseas institution
  • Seeking course approval from your RMIT School or Program Coordinator
  • Ensuring you are correctly enrolled at RMIT for the semester you are studying overseas (see below)
  • Paying the applicable study abroad fees directly to the overseas institution (not to RMIT).

Before you enrol and go on exchange, you must:

Step 1. Drop your RMIT classes

Drop your on-campus courses (RMIT classes) via Enrolment Online for your period of approved study abroad.

Step 2. Enrol in exchange courses

Enrol in the appropriate exchange course (EXTL courses) prior to the semester census date. EXTL codes for outbound study abroad courses should be provided to you by Global Experiences

You should remain enrolled in the provided EXTL courses until your overseas study is completed.

Under no circumstances should you remain enrolled in any non-EXTL classes while undertaking full-time study overseas.


You must present your academic transcript from the host university to your RMIT School so external study grades can be entered against your EXTL class enrolments.

Need help?

If you have any questions about exchange or study aborad studies or enrolment, ask about global experience programs.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.