Are you eligible for SA-HELP?

Check on the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.

If you’re an Australian Permanent Resident non-Humanitarian Visa holder and/or New Zealand Citizen, go to the Non-Australian citizens page on the Australian Government website. 

Before you apply

How to apply

Step 1. Let us know if you intend to apply for SA-HELP

You’ll be prompted to indicate if you intend to access a SA-HELP loan when you enrol in Enrolment Online.

If you did not apply for a SA-HELP loan during enrolment, but would now like to access one, follow these steps:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online
  • Go to My Student Record. 
  • Under the Financial details menu, select Manage Commonwealth Assistance and Optional Loans  
  • Select Request next to SA-HELP loan for your program and follow the prompts.

Step 2: Log in to the government portal

Once you’ve requested a SA-HELP loan in Enrolment Online, the Department of Education, Skills and Employment will send instructions to your RMIT student email account. 

Read the email and follow the instructions to log in to the eCAF portal and begin your application. 


Step 3. Enter your Tax File Number

Enter your TFN or Certificate of application for a TFN.

Unless your TFN successfully validates with the Australian Taxation Office your SA-HELP loan will NOT be approved and your Student Services and Amenities fees will need to be paid in full to RMIT by the due date.

Can’t validate your TFN?

If you get an email advising of problems with your Tax File Number, immediately follow these instructions.

Step 4: Submit your application via the government's eCAF portal

Submit your application in the eCAF portal before the census date for the classes you want the loan to cover.

There are no provisions to backdate your loan application if you submit after your census date.

Step 5. Make sure your SA-HELP loan is approved

Your loan is not approved unless you have been issued with a SA-HELP loan approval letter.

Once you submit your loan, with a validated Tax File Number, it will be approved and a loan approval letter will be issued to you the next day. Follow the below steps to access your loan approval letter.

  • Log in to Enrolment Online.
  • Select My student record.
  • Under the Financial details menu, select View Commonwealth assistance approval letter.
  • Click ‘View’ to view your SA-HELP loan approval letter.

Remember to pay your tuition fees and other charges. 

SA-HELP only covers your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). You still need to pay your tuition fees and any other charges. Also, if you’ve taken out FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP, these loans don't cover your SSAF: you need to apply for SA-HELP to cover SSAF.


Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice

RMIT will issue you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) within 28 days of each class census date.  A notification email will be sent to your RMIT student email account and your nominated personal email when your CAN is available.

The CAN will outline the HELP debt you've incurred and any upfront payments you've made towards your fees. If there are any discrepancies between your HELP debt and the amount you were expecting to pay, you have 14 days from the CAN issue date to submit a written request for a correction.

To view or print your Commonwealth Assistance Notice:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online and select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs).

Starting a new program?

If you change your program and/or enrol in a new program, you’ll need to re-apply for SA-HELP for your new program following the steps above.

Need help?

If you need further assistance with SA-HELP, contact RMIT Connect.