HELP loans and VET Student Loans

Find out about HELP loans and VET Student Loans, including eligibility and how to apply.

New login process for Enrolment Online

New login process for Enrolment Online now in effect – use your RMIT email address to log in. Go to RMIT ID and password to find out more.

What is a student loan?

A HELP loan or VET Student Loan (VSL) is a government loan that allows you to defer part or all of the cost of your studies. If you have an approved HELP loan or VSL, your fees will automatically defer to your loan shortly after each census date. You pay back your loan (debt) through the tax system once you earn above the compulsory repayment threshold or you can make voluntary repayments to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) at any time.


Your eligibility for a HELP loan or VET Student Loan depends on criteria such as your citizenship status, and whether you're in an undergraduate, postgraduate or vocational education program. 

Find out what you may be eligible for on the Australian Government's Study Assist website.

If you’re an Australian Permanent Resident Non-Humanitarian Visa holder and/or New Zealand citizen, find out about your eligibility on the Non-Australian citizens page.

New Zealand students on a Special Category Visa

If you're a New Zealand citizen on a Special Category Visa (SCV), you may be eligible for a HELP loan or VET Student Loan. 

If so, you need to provide us with proof that you meet the long-term residency requirements. This may include, but isn't limited to, the following:

  • Australian academic transcripts (including VET transcripts) dated when you were a minor
  • School reports or certificates
  • Enrolment papers from when you were a minor
  • Australian proof of age card from when you were a minor
  • Australian student ID card or concession card
  • Stamped passport
  • Payslips or payment summaries from when you were a minor
  • Completed Certificate of application for a Tax File Number form, Tax File Number advice, or notification of assessment of income tax dated from when you were a minor
  • Copies of your international movement records from the Department of Home Affairs  

Once you have your documentation, please submit it via Student Connect

New government eligibility rules in 2022 - low completion rates

From 2022, there are new government rules about eligibility for higher education student funding as part of the Australian Government’s Job-ready Graduates legislation. If you're starting a program in or after 2022 and are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) or have a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan, these changes affect you. For details, go to the Low completion rate and government funding webpage.

Apply for a loan

Select which type of loan you'd like to apply for below.

View your HELP loan or VET Student Loan status

If you have a HELP loan or VET Student Loan, you'll find the below information in Enrolment Online under the Financial details menu.



View Commonwealth Assistance (eCAF)

View the status of your loans for your program or request an invitation to apply for a loan.

View Commonwealth Assistance approval letters

View the letter from RMIT confirming the approval of your loan.

View Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs)

View the CANs for your program. The CAN shows the HELP debt for each of your enrolled courses, as well as your total HELP debt for your program.  

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.