Find out if you're eligible for an SA-HELP loan to cover your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

Are you eligible for SA-HELP?

Find out if you're eligible on the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.

If you’re an Australian Permanent Resident Non-Humanitarian Visa holder and/or New Zealand citizen, go to the Non-Australian citizens information on the Study Assist website for information about eligibility.

Not eligible?

If you’re not eligible, or don't apply before your census date, you must pay your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) by the due date via the options to pay your fees.

Before you apply

There are a few things to check before you apply for an SA-HELP loan.

1. Read the government information booklet

When you submit a request for SA-HELP to the government, you are declaring that you have read and understood the booklet and your obligations before you access the loan.

2. Make sure your citizenship has been verified

To be eligible for SA-HELP, you must verify your citizenship. This is part of the enrolment process in Enrolment Online. If you haven't already done so, verify your citizenship now.

3. Have your Tax File Number or certificate of application ready

You must have a Tax File Number (TFN) or certificate of application to apply for SA-HELP. If you don't have a TFN, apply for one now.

Your TFN must also validate on your loan application. Once you have a TFN, confirm the details with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) before submitting your application.

How to apply

Follow the steps below to apply for SA-HELP and keep track of your loan. You must submit your SA-HELP application before the census date for the classes you want the loan to cover.

1. Let us know if you intend to apply for SA-HELP

You’ll be prompted to indicate if you intend to access a SA-HELP loan when you enrol in Enrolment Online. A notification email will be sent to your RMIT student email address confirming your response.

If you did not apply for a SA-HELP loan during enrolment, but would now like to access one, follow these steps:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online with your RMIT email address and password. Forgotten your password? Reset it.
  • Go to My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select Manage Commonwealth Assistance and Optional Loans.
  • Select Request next to SA-HELP loans and follow the prompts.

2. Log in to the government portal

Once you have requested an eCAF, an email will be sent to your RMIT student email address from the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations.

Read the email and follow the instructions to log in to the government’s eCAF portal and begin your application. 

If you can’t find your email, make sure to check your spam folder. 

3. Enter your Tax File Number (TFN)

Enter your TFN or certificate of application for a TFN on your eCAF.

Unless your TFN successfully validates with the Australian Taxation Office, your SA-HELP loan will not be approved and your Student Services and Amenities FEE (SSAF) will need to be paid in full to RMIT by the due date.

Can’t validate your TFN? 

If you get an email advising of problems with your Tax File Number, immediately follow the instructions to validate your TFN.

4. Submit your application via the government's eCAF portal

Remember to submit your application before your first census date.

There are no provisions to backdate your loan application if you submit after your census date.

How to check your SA-HELP loan is approved

Your loan is not approved unless you have been issued with an SA-HELP loan approval letter.

Once you submit your eCAF, with a validated Tax File Number, it will be approved and a loan approval letter will be issued to you the next day.

Follow these steps to access your loan approval letter:

Starting a new program?

If you change your program and/or enrol in a new program, you’ll need to re-apply for SA-HELP for your new program following the steps above.

Know and track your loan

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) outlines the HELP debt you've incurred and any upfront payments you've made towards your fees.

RMIT will issue you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) within 28 days of each class census date. A notification email will be sent to your RMIT student email account and your nominated personal email when your CAN is available.

If there are any discrepancies between your HELP debt and the amount you were expecting to pay, you have 14 days from the CAN issue date to submit a written request for a correction.

To view or print your Commonwealth Assistance Notice

Remember to pay your tuition fees and other charges

SA-HELP only covers your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). You still need to pay your tuition fees and any other charges by the due dates. 

If you’ve taken out FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP, these loans don't cover your SSAF – you need to apply for SA-HELP to cover SSAF.

Need help?

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.