Understand your fees

Find out about your different types of fees and how to view their due dates.

From 1 January 2023, the 10% HECS upfront payment discount is no longer available to students in a Commonwealth Supported Place, following legislative changes.

All student contribution amounts on your invoice must be paid in full to RMIT or deferred to your HECS-HELP loan (if eligible and approved). 

Types of fees

All students at RMIT are charged fees that contribute to the cost of their program. The fees you’ll pay depend on your citizenship, the type of place you’ve been offered and the year you commenced your studies.

Fee type What the fees cover

Tuition fees

These are charged to all higher education, vocational education and preparatory students. You’ll be charged a fee to cover the cost of each course (subject) of your program.

Material and administration fees

These include fees and charges for activities such as field trips or materials like printing dyes or fabrics that become your property.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

The SSAF is set by the Australian Government on an annual basis. It funds services of a non-academic nature that enhance the student experience.

How to view your fees and due dates

All information about your fees is in Enrolment Online:

You can also view and print your tax invoice in My student record.

Scam alert! Tuition fee scams

Students of Australian education institutions have been targeted by scammers claiming to be ‘agents’ from the student’s university and requesting the student transfer money to cover tuition or other fees. To avoid becoming the victim of a scam, remember:

  • You should only ever make payments to RMIT via the formal payment methods listed on How to pay your fees 
  • You can always view your up-to-date fees and due dates via Enrolment Online (see above for full details) to check the validity of any fee notice or payment request you receive

If you have any questions about fees and payments, please contact Student Connect.

Fee concessions for vocational education students

If eligible, you can apply for a concession (discount) on fees for your government subsidised place in a RMIT vocational education program. 

You must apply before your class start date to access the concession fee rate. 

You're eligible for a fee concession if:

  • You're enrolling for a certificate I-IV program and
  • You hold a current Centrelink concession card or are waiting for a Centrelink concession card

You 're ineligible to apply for a fee concession if you:

  • Are enrolled in a vocational graduate certificate or vocational graduate diploma program
  • Commenced a diploma or advanced diploma program on or after 1 July 2012
  • Are enrolled in an Australian full fee place or international full fee place

Find out more about fee concession and how to apply

How to pay your fees

The preferred method is online via Visa or Mastercard, but you can also pay using other methods including from an overseas bank account.

Need help?

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.