Change or cancel your enrolment

How to add and drop classes or cancel your program enrolment.

Add and drop classes

After you enrol, you can continue to add or drop classes until the last day to add classes and last day to drop classes. These are listed in your important dates.

On a student visa? If you're an international student, make sure any enrolment changes aren't in breach of your general student visa conditions.

Log in to Enrolment Online and select Add or Drop next to the relevant classes. 


See your important dates for details of the last day to add/drop classes without financial or academic penalty.

If you choose to drop a class after the relevant census date, you’ll remain liable for all fees.

In special circumstances, you may request permission to add classes after the last day to add. Examples of special circumstances are: 

  • You’ve been attending classes but haven’t finalised your enrolment or have enrolled incorrectly.
  • You’re a commencing international student and you arrive after the deadline.
  • You received a program offer immediately before or after the last day to add classes
  • Your program had advised that you may enrol after the last day to add classes (you'll still need to request permission following the steps below).

To request permission to add classes:

  1. Log in to Enrolment Online with your RMIT email address and password. Forgotten your password? Reset it.
  2. Select Add next to the relevant classes.
  3. Follow the prompts to apply for permission.

If your application is approved, you’ll be notified by email and your enrolment will be updated. You’ll be issued with an updated Statement of Enrolment and tax invoice.

If your application is denied, you’ll be advised by your RMIT School.

Late changes to enrolment

If you enrol in a class on or close to the census date, your tuition fees may be due immediately. Check your tax invoice in Enrolment Online for due dates. 

Late enrolment into a course or program is not grounds for special consideration.

If your application for a late change to enrolment is approved, your School will arrange for you to catch up on any missed work. Contact your course coordinator or program manager if you need help.

Cancel your program enrolment

If you want to withdraw completely from your studies, you must cancel your program enrolment. We recommend you seek academic advice from your School or College before you proceed.

If you’re considering cancelling your program enrolment because of stress or personal issues, please be aware that RMIT has a range of free support services for students that might be helpful for you. You may also want to consider taking a temporary leave of absence rather than withdrawing from your program completely.

Before cancelling your program enrolment, there are a number of things you should be aware of.

All students


Cancelling your enrolment after census date

If you cancel your program enrolment after the relevant census date, you’ll be liable for all fees, even if you’re no longer attending classes. This includes tuition fees, the Student Services and Amenities Fee and administrative fees.

If you have a HELP loan or VET Student Loan, you’ll still incur debt and have to pay back your fees if you cancel your program after the relevant census date. 


Access to RMIT systems

You’ll lose access to all RMIT systems immediately after you cancel your program, unless you're enrolled in another program. Take the time to save or print any important documents in Enrolment Online such as invoices, Statements of Enrolment and Commonwealth Assistance Notices, and save copies of any emails you want to keep from your RMIT student email.

Higher education students

If you’re in a higher education program, you must cancel your program before the last day to withdraw without academic penalty. You’ll find this listed in your important dates. If you don’t, you may be subject to academic penalties, such as fail grades.

International students

Cancelling your program will affect your student visa. You must contact the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs for information before you cancel your program.

If you want to change to another program, don't cancel your program enrolment. Instead, apply online to change your program

If you want to study at another Australian institution, you can apply to transfer to another education provider.


Financial penalties 

If you're a commencing international student and have enrolled in the first semester of a program, financial penalties may apply if you cancel your program enrolment. Find out more about refunds for international students.


Sponsored and scholarship students

You must contact your sponsor or scholarship provider and advise them of your cancellation. You may have to repay any payments made to you.


Apprentices and trainees 

If you have a current training agreement, contact Student Connect before cancelling your program enrolment.


Research candidates

Contact your supervisor/s and/or HDR Coordinator before you cancel your program enrolment. Read about variations to your candidature, including readmission advice.


Students at partner institutions

You may cancel from your program at any time during the teaching period, but you may be liable for financial and/or academic penalties if your cancellation is submitted after the relevant census date or academic penalty date. Check your important dates for details or speak to your local partner contact for more information.

If you’re studying at Singapore Institute of Management (SIM), submit your cancellation through SIMConnect. Students at all other partners can withdraw from a program by following the steps below.


OUA students

Contact an OUA Student Advisor for help to withdraw from or swap a course.

You may be liable for financial and/or academic penalties if your cancellation is submitted after the relevant census date or academic penalty date. Check your important dates for details.

  • If you are in a Commonwealth supported place,  the tuition cost of your course is listed on your tax invoice in Enrolment Online.
  • If you are not in a Commonwealth supported place, the tuition cost of your course is listed on your invoice in the OUA Student Hub.

Once you've read Before you cancel your program enrolment (see above), follow these steps*:

  1. Log in to Enrolment Online with your RMIT email address and password. Forgotten your password? Reset it.
  2. Go to My student record.
  3. Select Cancel program and follow the prompts.

*The following students can’t cancel online:

  • OUA students (please contact OUA).
  • RMIT English Worldwide students (please contact
  • RMIT Vietnam students.
  • International onshore students under the age of 18. 

If you’re an international onshore student under the age of 18, follow the steps below to cancel your enrolment: 

  1. Request a Program Cancellation Form via the Change Enrolment Enquiry in the Student Connect Portal.
  2. Submit the form to Student Connect before the relevant census date listed in your important dates.

Retain a stamped copy of your form as proof of submission.

If you can’t submit the form by your census date, contact Student Connect to discuss your options.

Receiving Centrelink payments?

If you’re getting a Centrelink payment for students and trainees, you need to notify Centrelink within 14 days of any changes to your enrolment. Report your change of circumstances to avoid getting an overpayment.

Need help?

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.