Changes to your study plans

If you are an international student, RMIT needs to notify the Department of Home Affairs of any changes to your study plans.

If you are an international student on a visa subclass 500, RMIT needs to notify the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs (DHA) of any changes to your study plans. Some changes may affect your visa.​

​You should speak to staff at Student Connect and contact DHA as soon as possible to discuss any changes to your study.

If you are unable to arrive in time to commence your program, you can defer your offer to the next available intake. ​

If you no longer wish to study your program and want to give it up permanently, you can cancel (or withdraw from) your program. If you cancel your program enrolment after census date, you will not usually be refunded your fees. See more information on refunds.​

​If you want to stay in Australia, you will need a new offer to study and a new eCoE within 28 days of your old eCoE finishing. If you have no new eCoE, your student visa may be cancelled by the Department of Home Affairs.

If you complete your program before the end date on your eCoE, RMIT will notify immigration that you have completed your study. You should contact the DHA to confirm when your visa will expire.​

If you will not complete your program by the end date on your eCoE, you will need to apply for a new eCoE and renew your visa.​

To complete within your expected duration, you should remain enrolled at a full-time load throughout your program. 

You can only study at a reduced enrolment load with formal approval based on compassionate and compelling circumstances.

Leave of absence is usually approved for either six months or one year. If further leave of absence is required, you may apply with additional up-to-date evidence.​

Leave of absence is not granted for student visa holders in their first semester of study. If you have enrolled but will not be able to commence your program in your first semester you will need to defer your offer

If you are considering changing from one RMIT program to another RMIT program at a different level of study (e.g. from a Bachelor to a Diploma), contact the DHA to confirm how changing programs may affect your visa status.​

If you wish to transfer from RMIT – a Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF) eligible provider – to a provider that is not eligible SSVF, you may no longer meet the criteria for which your visa was granted and your visa may be cancelled. For more information, visit the DHA website about changes to your study situation.​

  • If you have completed six months or more of the program with the highest study level as described in your offer letter, complete the cancellation of program enrolment process.
  • If you have not yet completed six months in your principal program, you must apply for a release before cancelling your program

Status and details

Last updated January 2022

By Risk, Audit and Compliance (RAC)

In accordance with National Code 2018, Standard 7, Standard 9

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.