Transfer to another education provider

Student visa holders can request to transfer between registered education providers in Australia.

If you are an international student who would like to transfer from RMIT to another education provider, you can apply to do so. It’s important that you follow the application process as failure to do so may impact your student visa.

Do I need to apply to transfer?

If you are an international student and you have not yet completed six calendar months of your principle program (the highest study level that your visa covers) you must apply to transfer to another education provider. Your application will be assessed on the eligibility criteria, and you will be notified accordingly. You must keep attending classes until your application is approved.

If you are an international student and you have completed six calendar months or more of your principal program (the highest study level that your visa covers) you do not need to apply to transfer to another education provider. Instead, you can simply cancel your program enrolment if you wish to transfer to the new education provider.

How to apply

If you are an RMIT student, complete and submit the Application Form (see below).  

If you are an RMIT English Worldwide student, complete and submit the RMIT English Worldwide – Transfer Provider Request Form.

Your application must be submitted while you are a current RMIT University or RMIT Training student or within 3 months of your last enrolment at RMIT University or RMIT Training. 

You must keep attending classes until your application is approved. 

Are you under 18-years-old?

If you are under 18, you must provide the following additional documents: 

  • A letter from parent/legal guardian supporting the transfer.
  • Evidence of new education provider accepting responsibility for accommodation and welfare arrangements.

Please attach the documents to your application.

Are you a government sponsored student?

If you are a sponsored by your government to study in Australia, you must provide:

  • a letter from your sponsor supporting your transfer to the new program(s) at the new education provider(s) OR 
  • a financial guarantee from your sponsor for the new program(s) at the new provider(s).

Please attach the documents to your application.

Application Form

Please refer to Transferring to Another Education Provider for more information.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be completed.
Section 1: Your details
Section 2: Under 18 students

If you are under 18 years old, parent/legal guardian approval must be attached.

If you are not being cared for in Australia by a parent or suitable nominated relative, your new education provider must confirm that it accepts responsibility for your accommodation and welfare arrangements.
Section 3: Government sponsored students

Please provide either of the following: a letter from your sponsor supporting your transfer to the new program(s) at the new provider(s); or a financial guarantee from your sponsor for the new program(s) at the new provider(s)
Section 4: Program details

e.g. C6134 Advanced Diploma of Interpreting

If your visa was issued based on a package of programs from RMIT, you may need to be released from any other programs that have not been completed.

Section 5: Supporting information

You will need to provide the following documents to support your request:
  • A valid letter of offer for a program with a future start date;
  • A brief statement or explanation to support the reason for transfer to the new provider and evidence to support the reason provided;
  • Under 18 year old students: see Section 2 for additional document requirements.
  • Government sponsored students: see Section 3 for additional document requirements.

Section 6: Student declaration

By submitting this form I declare that my application to transfer education provider is genuine and that I have attached all the necessary documentation to support my application.

RMIT University values privacy and is committed to handling personal, sensitive and health information in accordance with the RMIT University Privacy and information management policy and the privacy principles contained in the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic).

The information you provide in this form will be kept securely and accessed only by staff for the purpose of University functions. De-identified information may be used for improvement processes.

RMIT may contact the issuer of any supporting documentation for verification purposes.

How long will it take for my application to be assessed?

Please allow up to 10 working days for RMIT to assess your application. If your application is approved, your current program enrolment and any packaged future programs at RMIT will be cancelled.


We will assess your application for release based on whether the requested transfer is genuinely in your best interests and whether it is in line with current Australian Government directions, guidelines and legislation governing the provision of education to student visa holders. 

Circumstances that may be approved include:

  • There is evidence of compassionate or compelling circumstances beyond your control that impact on your plans to study at RMIT.
  • RMIT fails to deliver your accepted program as outlined in the letter of offer. 
  • There is evidence that your reasonable expectations about your program are not being met by RMIT. 
  • There is evidence that you were misled by RMIT or an education or migration agent representing RMIT regarding the program and the program is therefore unsuitable to your needs and/or study objectives. 
  • An appeal (internal or external) on another matter results in a decision or recommendation that you be released from RMIT. 
  • You are a government sponsored student and there is written support or a new financial guarantee from your sponsor for the transfer. 

RMIT may refuse your application under certain circumstances which include, but are not limited to, the following: 

  • You failed to read or understand the RMIT Offer, Tuition Fee and Refund Policies. 
  • You failed to enrol at RMIT or at pathway provider before the enrolment deadline. In this situation, you should apply to defer your RMIT offer.  
  • You are transferring to a standalone ELICOS program (non-package). 
  • There is strong evidence that you have not genuinely engaged in study.  
  • You are seeking to transfer to a lower Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level program than your principal program at RMIT.
  • You are seeking to transfer to another course, discipline or location where RMIT believes you should be re-assessed under the Department of Home Affairs’ most current Genuine Student requirements.
  • You have submitted a request more than 3 months since your last enrolment.
  • You are no longer a current RMIT or RMIT Training student.
  • RMIT has found your supporting documents to be fraudulent. 

Need help?

If you have any questions about your visa, contact the Department of Home Affairs directly. RMIT cannot provide specific advice about your student visa or conditions attached to this.

For more information, please contact Student Connect.

Status and details

Last updated July 2024

By Academic Registrar’s Group (ARG)

In accordance with National Code 2018, Standard 7

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.