Fee refunds

How to apply for a refund as a domestic or continuing international student.

Please note, information on this page is for local (domestic) students and continuing international students. If you're a new international student, please go to Refunds for commencing or newly enrolled international students.


To be eligible for a refund, you must have a credit balance in your RMIT student account. A credit balance results when the total sum of payments exceeds the total fees for a specific term.

If you make changes to your enrolment before the census date, this may reduce your fees for that term which may result in a credit balance. These changes include:

  • reducing your study load, e.g., from full-time to part-time
  • withdrawing from your program, or
  • taking an approved leave of absence.

Changes to enrolment made after census date will not result in a credit balance.

Overpayments will be assessed case-by-case and may not be refundable based on RMIT's refund policy. 

Refund procedure

All refund applications are assessed based on the Approved schedule of fees and charges.

For more information, see the Refund of fees procedure.

How to apply for a refund

Before you apply

Before you apply, please ensure you have:

  • A photo or scan of your ID such as student card, driver’s license, passport or Key Pass so we can verify your identity (please note, only JPG, PNG, and PDF file formats are supported)
  • Added a bank account in Enrolment Online. For instructions, download How to Enter Your Bank Account in Enrolment Online (PDF, 295KB). If you are currently enrolled or on a leave of absence and you have paid your fees via bank transfer or BPAY, please update your bank details via Enrolment Online before submitting your online refund application. RMIT is unable to process your refund request until you have successfully updated your bank details

How to apply

There are different application forms and methods depending on which student cohort you belong to.

If you are one of the following, please complete the Application for Refund Form

  • Australian citizens
  • New Zealand citizens
  • A holder of a Permanent Residence visa
  • A holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa
  • A Holder of a Temporary Resident Visa
  • A student who holds a bridging visa or a temporary visa other than an international student visa
  • An international student in the first semester of a current program whose results have been officially released
  • Leave of Absence has been granted
  • RMIT Online students

If you are not listed above, apply by following the instructions below:

Processing times

Correct and complete applications for refund will be processed within 20 working days.

Please note that transfers to overseas bank accounts will take up to six weeks from when all relevant account details have been received.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are currently enrolled, you can view any available credit balance in Enrolment Online under My Student Record > Financial Details > View Account/Pay Fees.

Alternatively, you may refer to your latest invoice.

If you no longer have access to your student account, please contact Student Connect to check your credit balance.

If you reduce your study load in the first semester of study, you will be eligible for a refund of the difference between tuition fees paid for that semester and the tuition fees charged once your first semester official results have been released. The difference will appear as a credit in your student account.

If you have paid OSHC through RMIT and you are refused a visa in a country outside of Australia, RMIT will arrange your OSHC refund on your behalf. Otherwise, you will need to contact Medibank directly to arrange a refund of your OSHC. 

For more details, please email oshc@medibank.com.au

Alternatively, visit Medibank on campus to assist with your OSHC refund request.

Please complete the refund form and add your overseas bank details in the relevant section.

Please note, it may take up to six weeks to for a refund payment to reach an overseas bank account.

RMIT will process refunds using the same payment method as the original payment. Where the payment was via a credit card, the funds will be returned to the same credit card used for the original payment.

Refunds that are processed via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) will be paid into the student’s nominated bank account. Active students with access to Enrolment Online must add their nominated bank details in Enrolment Online for the refund to be processed.

RMIT will process refunds using the same payment method as the original payment. Where the payment was via a credit card within the previous 12 months, the funds will be returned to the same credit card used for the original payment regardless of whether the card is still active.

If your card is no longer active, please contact your bank for further details.

Material fee refunds must first be approved by your School. Please submit an enquiry via Student Connect to have your request assessed by your School.

Printer credit can only be refunded if it has been paid by the student. A refund will not be available where a student has remaining School allocated print credit.

For further enquiries relating to printer credit, please submit an enquiry to Student Connect.

Once your refund has been processed you will receive a confirmation email. If you are an active student, you will also receive an updated tax invoice within 24 to 48 hours of the refund being processed.

If your application for refund is submitted after 12 months of payment, your unclaimed money may go to the State Revenue Office Victoria. In this case, you will have to contact the State Revenue Office directly to find out if you can claim your money back. 

Yes, though your refund application cannot be assessed prior to the relevant census date.

Students who have had their enrolment cancelled due to being a university debtor can apply for a refund due to University cancellation of enrolment.

Refunds cannot be processed for courses where the course end date has passed, or the student has received a final grade prior to cancellation.

Payments will only be processed if the applicant has an available credit balance, and that credit balance is the result of a payment. 

If you hold a student visa or a bridging visa and are yet to enrol, or are withdrawing from study prior to receiving your grades in the first semester of a program, please go to Refunds for commencing or newly enrolled international students.

A local student who failed courses or who had to withdraw from their program after census because of special circumstances may be eligible to apply for a refund of HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan debt. Remission of debt is only available to a student whose HELP loan is approved or has paid an up-front payment of a student contribution for a course.

In order to be considered for a refund of HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or VET Student Loan debt, you will need to demonstrate compassionate and compelling circumstances that were unexpected or beyond your control and provide supporting documentation.

If you applied to study English only, without any other program, you must apply to RMIT English Worldwide (REW) for a refund. Go to the Policies and procedures page and then scroll down to the Refund and transfer of fees for REW students heading. 

If you have any questions, please submit an enquiry via the RMIT Training Contact Form.

Need help?

If you have questions about fee refunds or need assistance, contact Student Connect.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.