How do I get covered?

If your registration or application in the online application portal Mobi has been processed and confirmed, you are automatically covered.

If you are not on Mobi – you are required to register to receive coverage for your approved overseas program. Once you have your travel itinerary, your travel details must be also registered with MyTrips.

Note that you need to be enrolled as a current RMIT student during your overseas program in order to be covered by the complimentary RMIT travel insurance.

How long am I covered for?

The RMIT Student Travel insurance policy covers you for the duration of your official study dates.

You also receive a complimentary 30 days of leisure travel to be used in any combination before or after your official study dates. If you plan to travel for longer than 30 days before or after your official study dates then you will need to arrange your own travel insurance for this extended period.

In no event, can the policy cover a journey greater 365 days. If you are travelling longer than that, please advise RMIT Insurance as it may be necessary for you to make alternative insurance arrangements.

Due to legislation restrictions, this policy cannot cover nationals while in their home countries. The international travel to and from that home country however would be covered.

What am I covered for?

Read the RMIT Student Travel Certificate of Currency and Policy Product Disclosure Statement for details of the insurance policy coverage. Please do not contact Aon with enquiries as they are not the insurance provider. All insurance-related questions must be sent to


What am I not covered for?

The travel policy explicitly excludes mobile phones and tablets. There is a $1,000 excess fee for claims involving laptops and personal computers. If you want these items covered, you must purchase additional insurance with another provider.

Other exclusions include:

  • Engaging in air travel except as a passenger in any properly licensed aircraft;
  • Any deliberately self-inflicted injury, including suicide or attempted suicide;
  • A sexually transmitted disease, or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) or Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection;
  • Any criminal or intentional illegal act.
  • Any Global Experience program in your home country (the flights to and from your home country are included).

For full details of Policy conditions, limitations and exclusion, please consult the RMIT Student Travel Policy Wording.

Sanctioned Countries

To meet our obligations under international law, Australia implements United Nations Security Council sanctions regimes. Australia also implements autonomous sanctions regimes as a matter of foreign policy.

RMIT’s travel insurer is also subject to this legislation and requires notification (at least three weeks prior to departure) of each and every trip that involves travel to a sanctioned country.

Before approved travel commences – refer to the DFAT website - please send the following details to; your name, date of birth, nationality, dates of travel, the countries you're travelling to and reason for travel. Depending on the country and reason for travel, there may be further requests for information.

I have a pre-existing medical condition. What should I do?

The medical expenses, cancellation and curtailment sections of the policy have exclusions for travel against the advice of physician or when you are unfit to undertake a journey.

If you are concerned that a pre-existing medical condition will impact your journey, you should seek confirmation from your physician that you are fit to travel ideally before booking the trip.

Even with this confirmation, please note that the policy will not cover known or expected costs for the treatment of an ongoing or chronic medical condition. The Personal Accident and Life sections of the policy will also contain exclusions for pre-existing conditions. If you are concerned about a particular condition, please contact RMIT Insurance.

Requesting a personalised Insurance Confirmation letter for visa applications

If you require a personalised insurance confirmation letter for a visa application or for your host university please provide the following details:

  • Your name as it appears on your travel documentation
  • Your departure and return dates
  • Your official study start and end dates
  • The country where you will spend the majority of your time.

Please send this information to

How do I make a claim?

Complete and sign the Claim Form and email it directly to insurer together with all documentation needed to support your claim (key items needed are summarised below)

  • Please remember to sign 'Section Twelve: Declaration' on page 5
  • Ensure that the appropriate bank account details are input for repayment
  • Please ensure you retain all original documentation to enable production upon request at any stage of the claim process.

Key supporting documents

Varies according to the claim type and includes, but not limited to:

  • If claims relate to loss of income you must complete the attached Tax File Number Declaration. For further information please read PAYG Claims Information

  • A copy of your Mobi registration (not just the application) for all claims

  • A copy of your itinerary showing travel dates etc.

  • Proof of payment for claimed expenses (paid invoices, receipts)

  • Full medical or doctor reports for a medical condition or injury – this is to establish eligibility and that it is not a pre-existing condition

  • Proof from prior claim attempts with airlines, hotels etc. of unsuccessful attempts to claim elsewhere

  • Police reports relating to accidents, theft or criminal activity.

Submit your claim to:


Telephone: +61 2 9251 8700

Please quote policy number: 41443

What if I have a question?

For questions regarding your overseas program, contact the Global Experience Office

For questions regarding insurance and coverage, contact