Dr Nick Bardell
Position: Senior Lecturer
College / Portfolio: STEM College
School / Department: STEM|School of Engineering
Campus: City Campus
Dr Nick Bardell has extensive experience in the world of aviation and aerospace engineering, having worked in both academic and industrial settings.
He is a 'total' aviation person with a deep interest in all things related to aircraft and aviation. He delights in sharing his knowledge and experience with students and staff, and is able to explain difficult concepts to a wide range of audience.
Program Manager for BAppSci(Aviation) BP070P6 & BP070PL; BAppSci(Aviation)/BBus(Management) BP284.
UGRD Lecturer/course coordinator for:
- AERO2407 Aviation project Management
- AERO2380 Aviation Quality Systems
- AERO2459 Aircraft Airworthiness
PGRD Lecturer/course coordinator for:
- AERO2513 Airworthiness Management Frameworks
- BSc (Hons)
- Regional Head of Engineering and Technical Specialist: QuEST Global Engineering, South Melbourne 3205, VIC, AUSTRALIA (Dec 2011 – Oct 2014).
- Oversight of Airbus A350-900 Composite Rear Spar stress analysis during Checkstress and type certification reporting.
- Technical Specialist: GKN Aerospace Engineering Services, Melbourne 3207, VIC, AUSTRALIA (March 2002 – Dec 2011)
- A400M Main Wingbox Outer Falsework and Inner Fixed Shroud for First Flight Clearance and Entry Into Service Certification. Level 2 static stress checking for the metallic and composite structure, in conjunction with GKN Isle of Wight, UK.
- A400M FTE Lower Shroud Panels - Design For Manufacture. Section Leader and analyst for the metallic structure (FEM, hand calculations, stress report preparation to Airbus standards).
- Lockheed-Martin / Northrop-Grumman F35 (STOVL & CV variants of the Joint Strike Fighter). Horizontal Integrator and subsequent Stress Checker for the centre fuselage structural layout, design, analysis and substantiation reports. Familiar with LM/NGC proprietary stress methods.
- Airbus A300/A310 Hi-Shear Bolt Investigation. Team Leader supervising 10 engineers and managing a project budget valued at AUD$1.25million. Static re-analysis of under-strength bolted joints.
- Principal Stress Engineer: Aerostructures Hamble Ltd, Southampton, UK (October 1998 – March 2002)
- U.K. MoD Future Offensive Air System evaluation programme. Conducted an in-depth feasibility study to recommend a suitable parent aircraft as a cruise missile launch platform. Section Leader responsible for developing aircraft payload-range and radius-of-action performance calculations, and optimizing the airframe-to-missile installation.
- Eurofighter 2000 Ground Power Unit towed trolley. Section leader responsible for the structural design, analysis, stress justification, and prototype fabrication to exacting customer specifications and NATO/STANAG military standards for Ground Service Equipment.
- CEng (Chartered Engineer).
- FRAeS (Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society). Member # 1192732.
- RPEQ (Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland). Member # 10018 (Aerospace).
- Reviewer for Australian Senior Mathematics Journal (ASMJ).
- Reviewer for the Technical Committee for the bi-annual Australian International Aerospace Congress.
- Bardell, N. (2022). The payload-range performance of a multirole tanker transporter aircraft accounting for towline (on-station refuelling) and trail (strategic deployment) missions In: Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part G: Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 236, 154 - 168
- Nawaz Bhatti, Z.,Bardell, N. (2021). A Review of Recognition in Military Airworthiness Regulatory Frameworks In: 2021 Asia-Pacific International Symposium on Aerospace Technology (APISAT2021), Jeju, S. Korea, 15-17 Nov 2021
- Bardell, N. (2021). Air-to-air refuelling from an MRTT’s perspective – the effect of fuel offload on the payload range performance In: 19th Australian International Aerospace Congress, 2021, Melbourne, Australia, 29 Nov - 01 Dec 2021
- Bardell, N.,Ashton, M. (2020). Some issues affecting potential stakeholder uptake of sustainable aviation fuel within Australia: a case study conducted at Darwin International Airport In: Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 18, 95 - 107
- Cho, K.,Li, G.,Bardell, N. (2020). Towards meeting the IATA-agreed 1.5% average annual fuel efficiency improvements between 2010 and 2020: The current progress being made by U.S.air carriers In: Aviation, 23, 123 - 132
- Yeun, R.,Bardell, N. (2019). An evaluation of the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) SMS framework using the DEMATEL method In: 18th Australian International Aerospace Congress, Melbourne, Australia, 24-28 February 2019
- Li, G.,Bardell, N. (2019). Recent trends in payload fuel energy efficiency: An analysis of U.S. air carriers from 2003 to 2017 In: Proceedings of the 41st Australasian Transport Research Forum (ATRF 2019), Canberra, Australia, 30 September - 2 October 2019
- Zhang, L.,Bardell, N.,Baxter, G. (2018). The significance of the Chinese domestic market for narrow-body passenger-to-freighter (P2F) jet aircraft conversions In: Australasian Transport Research Forum (ATRF) 2018 Proceedings, Darwin, Australia, 31 October - 2 November 2018
- Bardell, N.,Yue, H. (2018). A discussion about how efficiently the major US airlines are using their domestic fleets of Boeing 737 800 aircraft In: Australasian Transport Research (ATRF) Forum 2018 Proceedings, Darwin, Australia, 30 October - 1 November 2018
- Yang, Y.,Bardell, N. (2017). A review of airworthiness assurance within international dry operating leases In: Australasian Transport Research Forum (ATRF) 2017 Proceedings, Auckland, New Zealand, 27-29 November 2017