Dr. Shanmuga Sundar Dhanabalan works at the Functional materials and microsystem research group, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. His research area focuses on flexible and stretchable electronics, wearable biosensors, antennas, optics, and photonics. Currently, he is working on developing a Smart Mattress for aged care applications and Smart eye patches for chronic eye disease in collaboration with the industry.
Awards and Scholarship
- 2013 TEQIP Doctoral Scholarship
- 2018 Fondecyt Postdoctoral Fellowship
Professional Activities and memberships
- Fellow Member, Optical Society of India, Kolkata (Member No. 897)
- International Association of Engineers (IAENG Member No. 167800)
- International Association of Advanced Materials, Sweden (Member No. 8986191584)
- Computer Science Teacher Association, New York, USA (Member No. 8997006)
- Indian Society of Systems for Science and Engineering (ISSE Member No. LM04823)
Reviewer for international scientific journals
IEEE Access, IEEE Transactions, Photonic Network Communications, Optik, Optical Communications, Scientific Reports, Flexible and Printed Electronics, ISA Transactions, IOP Laser Physics, Silicon, Multimedia Systems, Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, The Journal of Supercomputing, Soft Computing, Microprocessors and Microsystems, International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, International Journal of Nanoscience, Materials Research Express, and Materials Letters.
Conference and workshop organization and facilitation
- Keynote Speaker – 2020 Express Conference on the Physics of Materials and its application in Energy and Environment (e-CPM2020), University of Chile, Chile.
- Keynote Speaker – International Virtual Conference on Advances in Nanomaterials and its Recent Applications (ANMRA – 2020), Dr.N.G.P. Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
- Organizing Committee - International Conference on Electrical Electronics and Communication (ICEEC-16), Alagappa Chettiar College of Eng. & Tech, Karaikudi, Tamilnadu, India.
- Flexible and Stretchable Electronics
- Smart Patches for medical applications
- Wearable Optical Label-free Biodetectors
- Wearable Sensors
- Optical Communications
Eight years of Teaching Experience in Universities in India. Developed Curriculum and syllabus for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Supervised Bachelor and Master students.
- 2018 - 2021 Postdoctoral Fellow (Flexible Electronics), University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
- 2010 Bachelor of Engineering (ECE with 1st Class), Anna University, Chennai, India
- 2012 Master of Engineering (Optical Communication with 1st Class), Anna University, Chennai, India
- 2017 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD., Flexible Electronics), Anna University, Chennai, India
3 PhD Current Supervisions
- Velliangiri, S.,Manoharn, R.,Ramachandran, S.,Dhanabalan, S. S., et al, S. (2022). An Efficient Lightweight Privacy-Preserving Mechanism for Industry 4.0 Based on Elliptic Curve Cryptography In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, 18, 6494 - 6502
- Natarajan, N.,Rajesh, M.,Sitharthan Ramachandran, S.,Dhanabalan, S.,Krishnasamy, K.,Madurakavi, M. (2022). Optimization of Performance and Scalability Measures across Cloud Based IoT Applications with Efficient Scheduling Approach In: International Journal of Wireless Information Networks, , 1 - 12
- Dhanabalan, S. (2021). Blockchain based peer to peer communication in autonomous drone operation In: Energy Reports, 7, 7925 - 7939
- Dhanabalan, S.,Sriram, S.,Walia, S.,Avaninathan, S.,Carrasco, M.,Bhaskaran, M. (2021). Wearable Label-Free Optical Biodetectors: Progress and Perspectives In: Advanced Photonics Research, 2, 1 - 18
- Sensor and data innovation for smart triaging for at-risk Australians (administered by Vlepis Solutions). Funded by: Cooperative Research Centres Projects (CRC-P) Grant from (2022 to 2024)