Dr Jonathan Duckworth is a Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellow in the School of Media and Communication at RMIT University (2012-2015).
Dr Duckworth is a digital media artist and designer with a background in architecture. He brings to RMIT a broad range of industry and research experience in digital media design from his practice called ZedBuffer. His practice specialises in research, development and production of novel interactive installations for government clients, museums, galleries and public venues using computer game technology. This focus has resulted in the design and build of several large scale multi-user interactive installations commissioned by government and commercial clients including: State Library of Queensland (2012), Drops of Wisdom, Sydney Catchment Authority (2010), Serendipity, Eureka SkyDeck, (2007).
The practice also serves as a repository for his funded research activities, speculative designs and experimental interactive media art works. The design opportunities from ZedBuffer have contributed to his research at RMIT University, and more broadly in developing intellectual currency and expertise in new media production, interaction design and associated technology.
Dr Jonathan Duckworth has been involved in the research and development of interactive media applications through RMIT’s Virtual Reality Centre since 1999. His current research relates to the design and evaluation of systems for movement rehabilitation in patients who have sustained traumatic brain injury. In collaboration with scientists and clinicians, Dr Duckworth has developed an approach to rehabilitation which integrates computer games technology, tangible user interfaces, augmented feedback, and artistic expression to enhance patients’ motor and cognitive skills. His research demonstrates how rehabilitative applications may benefit significantly from theories of embodied interaction design and digital media art.
Video – ELEMENTS: a new media art work for movement rehabilitation
Dr Duckworth is a recipient of an Australia Council for the Arts Synapse grant as part of an ARC Linkage grant (LP110200802) in collaboration with Australian Catholic University, Griffith University and Epworth Hospital. The project called Resonance encompasses the design and development of an interactive multimedia artwork for rehabilitation of acquired brain injury (ABI). The Resonance interactive system aims to promote cooperative group interaction between ABI patients as a means to enhance their motor and cognitive recovery.
Other current research interests include:
- Digital Media Art
- Interaction Design
- Tangible Computing
- Serious Games
- Virtual Reality
- Arts and Science collaborations
- PhD (Media & Communication), RMIT University, 2010
- Master of Design (Industrial Design), RMIT University, 2002
- PgDip (Architecture) - University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK, 1997
- BSc with Honours, First Class (Architecture) - University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK, 1995
Dr Duckworth has exhibited digital artworks both nationally and internationally including group exhibitions at Art Taipei (2010), SuperHuman, Melbourne (2009); Thinking Through the Body, Sydney, (2009); ReSkin, Canberra (2007); White Noise, Australian Centre for the Moving Image, Melbourne (2005).Unnatural Selection, Ars Electronica, Linz, Austria (2004); Perceptual Difference, Biennale of Electronic Arts Perth -BEAP04, John Curtin Gallery, Perth, (2004).
2011 RMIT University Research Prize
In recognition of the achievement of excellence in a higher degree research program assessed in 2010 (PhD)
2004 LAB.3000 Digital Design Biennale Award
Recognition of Achievement of Excellence in the field of Digital Design Innovation.
2003 RMIT University Research Prize
In recognition of the achievement of excellence in a higher degree research program assessed in 2002 (M.Des )
2003 ATOM Award (Australian Teachers of New Media)
Best Experimental Production, Virtual Reality arts project ‘Ecstasis’, J. Duckworth, M. Guglielmetti, L. Harvey, M. Baily. (Metraform)
2002 ATOM Award (Australian Teachers of New Media)
Commendation Award, Virtual Reality arts project ‘Symbiosis’, J. Duckworth, M. Guglielmetti, L. Harvey (Metraform)
2001 Academic Excellence Award
International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, RMIT University.
- Walia, S.,Balendhran, S.,Ahmed, T.,Singh, M.,El-Badawi, C.,Brennan, M.,Weerathunge, P.,Karim, M.,rahman, F.,Rassell, A.,Duckworth, J.,Ramanathan, R.,Collis, G.,Lobo, C.,Toth, M.,Kotsakidis, J.,Weber, B.,Fuhrer, M.,Dominguez-Vera, J.,Spencer, M.,Aharonovich, I.,Sriram, S.,Bhaskaran, M.,Bansal, V. (2017). (In Press) Ambient protection of few-layer black phosphorus via sequestration of reactive oxygen species In: Advanced Materials, , 1 - 8
- Duckworth, J.,Hullick, J.,Eldridge, R.,rice, c.,Rice, C. (2017). Disruptive Critters In: S�nar +D Barcelona, Spain
- Wilson, P.,Green, D.,Caeyenberghs, K.,Steenbergen, B.,Duckworth, J. (2016). Integrating New Technologies into the Treatment of CP and DCD In: Current Developmental Disorders Reports, 3, 138 - 151
- Muscat, A.,Goddard, W.,Duckworth, J.,Holopainen, J. (2016). First-Person Walkers: understanding the Walker experience through four design themes In: Proceedings of the First International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG, Dundee, Scotland, 1-6 August 2016
- Greuter, S.,Nash, A.,Manning, J.,Duckworth, J.,Power, J.,Wilson, S.,Zayed, J.,Sinclair, J.,Goddard, W.,Hullick, J. (2016). Domelab In: Design and Play Exhibition Melbourne
- Duckworth, J.,Eldridge, R.,Hullick, J. (2015). Resonance In: SONAR +D Barcelona, Spain
- Duckworth, J.,Mumford, N.,Caeyenberghs, K.,Eldridge, R.,Mayson, S.,Thomas, P.,Shum, D.,Williams, G.,Wilson, P. (2015). Resonance: an interactive tabletop artwork for co-located group rehabilitation and play In: Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Access to Learning, Health and Well-Being. Part III., Los Angeles, United States of America, 2-7 August 2015
- Duckworth, J.,Hullick, J.,Eldridge, R. (2015). SELECT NATURALIS In: Bendigo International Festival of Exploratory Music (BIFEM) Bendigo, Australia
- Duckworth, J.,Eldridge, R.,Bennett, C.,Wilson, P.,Mumford, N.,Shum, D.,Thomas, P.,Williams, G. (2015). ELEMENTS In: Premier's Design Award - Best in Category Digital Design Melbourne, Australia
- Duckworth, J.,Eldridge, R.,Hullick, J. (2014). Resonance Table in These Compulsive Behaviours, (Concert 4) RE:EVOLUTION In: The Melbourne Festival Melbourne, Australia
- Innovations in neurorehabilitation: CogMO VR rehabilitation for cognition and motor skill (Administered by Australian Catholic University Limited). Funded by: Australian Catholic University from (2017 to 2017)
- Disruptive Critters: developing a digitally augmented performance space by the Duckworth/Hullick Duo. Funded by: Australia Council for the Arts - Arts Projects for Individuals and Groups 2015 from (2016 to 2016)
- Disruptive Critters. Funded by: VicArts Grants 2016 Round 2 from (2016 to 2017)
- Elements: An Augmented Reality Workspace for Movement Rehabilitation for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Patients. Funded by: Synapse Initiative Grant pre-2014 from (2005 to 2007)
2 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions