The research interests of Dr Fernando include investigation of electric machines, drives and control systems in general. He is particularly interested in the design of rare-earth free electric machine structures in addition to investigation of new permanent magnet based concepts such as magnetic gearing. Dr Fernando has also experience with the design of electrical machines and drives for high-speed applications such as aero-engine embedded generators and control design for electric drives for high efficiency.
More information on Dr Fermando's past research
Lecturer in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD Manchester 2012
- BSc (Hons) Moratuwa 2008
Member of the IEEE and the following societies within this body:
- Vehicular Technology Society (VTS)
- Power Electronics Society (PELS)
- Industrial Electronics Society (IES)
- June 2013 – present, Lecturer : School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Dec 2011 – May 2013, Research Fellow at the Power Electronics, Machines and Control Group, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Sept 2008 – July 2011, Teaching Assistant at the Power Conversion Group, University of Manchester, UK.
- Nov 2007 – July 2008, Lecturer (temp) : Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Recipient of the “Overseas Research Students Award and Research Scholarship“ 2008. Awarded by the University of Manchester.
Recipient of the best Electrical Engineering graduand Award 2007. Awarded by the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa.
- Abdul Sathar Eqbal, M.,Fernando, W.,Marino, M.,Wild, G. (2018). Hybrid propulsion systems for remotely piloted aircraft systems In: Aerospace, 5, 1 - 17
- Fernando, W.,Vakil, G.,Arumugam, P.,Amankwah, E.,Gerada, C.,Bozhko, S. (2017). Impact of soft magnetic material on design of high speed permanent magnet machines In: IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, 64, 2415 - 2423
- Jayasinghe, S.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, N.,Jin, Z.,Guerrero, J. (2017). Review of Ship Microgrids: System Architectures, Storage Technologies and Power Quality Aspects In: Inventions, 1, 1 - 19
- Thilakarathne Mudiyanse, C.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, W. (2017). Improved synchrophasor models for power system dynamic stability evaluation based on IEEE C37.118.1 reference architecture In: IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 66, 2937 - 2947
- Fernando, W.,Saha, S. (2017). Torsional shear stress minimization techniques and implications on electromagnetic performance of flux-modulated double rotors In: IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, 33, 49 - 58
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W.,Senjyu, T. (2016). A method to reduce DC-link overvoltage of PMSG based WECS during LVRT In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
- Dey, P.,Datta, M.,Fernando, W.,Senjyu, T. (2016). Comparison of synchronous and stationary frame pi based flux weakening controls for DC-link overvoltage minimisation of WECS under grid fault In: Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE, Singapore, 22-25 November 2016
- Fernando, W. (2016). A field modulated electromagnetic clutch with slip control In: Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Southern Power Electronics Conference (SPEC 2016), Auckland, New Zealand, 5-9 December 2016
- Jayasinghe, S.,Al-Falahi, M.,Enshaei, H.,Fernando, W.,Abkenar, A. (2016). Floating power platforms for mobile cold-ironing In: Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Southern Power Electronics Conference (SPEC 2016), Auckland, New Zealand, 5-9 December 2016
- Fernando, W.,Jayasinghe, S.,Abkenar, A. (2016). Marine propulsion PM motor control under inverter partial fault In: Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Southern Power Electronics Conference (SPEC 2016), Auckland, New Zealand, 5-9 December 2016
9 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- Design and Simulation of High Speed Turbo Alternator for Micro Turbine Power Generation. Funded by: Mellin Pty Ltd trading as gTET - contract research from (2017 to 2018)