Dr Nuwantha Fernando in a Chartered Professional Engineer and a Member of the Engineers Australia. He specialises in electrical machines, drives and control.
Dr Nuwantha Fernando in a Chartered Professional Engineer and a Member of the Engineers Australia. He specialises in electrical machines, drives and control. Dr Fernando has engaged with industry to develop high speed generators for microturbine power generation, aircraft power generation and low speed generators for vortex turbines. Dr Fernando serves as an editor of the IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion.
The research interests of Dr Fernando include investigation of electric machines, drives and control systems in general. He is particularly interested in the design of rare-earth free electric machine structures in addition to the investigation of new permanent magnet-based concepts such as magnetic gearing. Dr Fernando has also experienced with the design of electrical machines and drives for high-speed applications such as aero-engine embedded generators and control design for electric drives for high efficiency.
More information on Dr Fermando's past research
Lecturer in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD Manchester 2012
- BSc (Hons) Moratuwa 2008
Member of the IEEE and the following societies within this body:
- Vehicular Technology Society (VTS)
- Power Electronics Society (PELS)
- Industrial Electronics Society (IES)
- June 2013 – present, Lecturer : School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Dec 2011 – May 2013, Research Fellow at the Power Electronics, Machines and Control Group, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Sept 2008 – July 2011, Teaching Assistant at the Power Conversion Group, University of Manchester, UK.
- Nov 2007 – July 2008, Lecturer (temp) : Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Recipient of the “Overseas Research Students Award and Research Scholarship“ 2008. Awarded by the University of Manchester.
Recipient of the best Electrical Engineering graduand Award 2007. Awarded by the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa.
- Abdul Sathar Eqbal, M.,Fernando, N.,Marino, M.,Wild, G. (2021). Development of a turbo electric distribution system for remotely piloted aircraft systems In: Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management, 13, 1 - 20
- Sriwannarat, W.,Seangwong, P.,Siritaratiwa, A.,Fernando, N.,Dechgummarn, Y.,Khunkitti, P. (2021). Electromagnetic Torque Improvement of Doubly Salient Permanent Magnet Machine Using Pole Ratio Adjustment Technique In: Frontiers in Energy Research, 9, 1 - 10
- Saeed, J.,Wang, L.,Fernando, W. (2021). Model Predictive Control of Phase Shift Full-Bridge DC-DC Converter Using Laguerre Functions In: IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, , 1 - 8
- Seangwong, P.,Siritaratiwat, A.,Sriwannarat, W.,Fernando, W.,Khunkitti, P. (2021). Design of Doubly Salient Permanent Magnet Generator for Output Power Enhancement using Structural Modification In: Journal of Applied and Computational Mechanics, 7, 2171 - 2178
- Roshandel, E.,Mahmoudi, A.,Kahourzade, S.,Tahir, A.,Fernando, W. (2021). Propulsion System of Electric Vehicles In: 2021 31st Australasian Universities Power Engineering Conference (AUPEC), Perth, Australia, 26-30 September 2021
- Thilakarathne Mudiyanselage, C.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, N. (2020). Real-time voltage stability assessment using phasor measurement units: Influence of synchrophasor estimation algorithms In: International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 119, 1 - 13
- Saeed, J.,Wang, L.,Fernando, N. (2020). Disturbance Observer based Anti-Windup Resonant Control of Integrated EV Drive in Standalone Vehicle-to-Home Mode In: 2020 Australian and New Zealand Control Conference, ANZCC 2020, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, 26-27 November 2020
- Saeed, J.,Wang, L.,Fernando, N. (2020). Disturbance Observer based Constrained Resonant Control of SRM Integrated EV Drive in Vehicle-to-Home (V2H) Operation In: Proceedings of the 21st IFAC World Congress (IFAC 2020), Berlin, Germany, 12-17 July 2020
- Saeed, J.,Niakinezhad, M.,Wang, L.,Fernando, N. (2019). An Integrated Charger with Hybrid Power Source Using PV Array for EV Application In: Proceedings of the IEEE 13th International Conference on Compatibility, Power Electronics and Power Engineering (CPE-POWERENG), Sonderborg, Denmark, 23-25 April 2019
- Saeed, J.,Niakinezhad, M.,Fernando, N.,Wang, L. (2019). Model Predictive Control of an Electric Vehicle Motor Drive Integrated Battery Charger In: Model Predictive Control of an Electric Vehicle Motor Drive Integrated Battery Charger, Sonderborg, Denmark, 23-25 April 2019
3 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions
- High-speed permanent magnet rotor post assembly magnetization and power conversion systems manufacture (G-TET). Funded by: Innovative Manufacturing CRC from (2021 to 2022)
- Donald and Tarnagulla Microgrid Feasibility Study – Area Hosting Capacity Assessment (administered by C4NET). Funded by: Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund - Microgrids: Competitive from (2020 to 2023)
- Power Rectification, Braking and Condition Monitoring for a High Speed Alternator System - ICG000701. Funded by: Mellin Pty Ltd trading as gTET from (2018 to 2019)
- Design and Simulation of High Speed Turbo Alternator for Micro Turbine Power Generation. Funded by: MELLIN Pty Ltd trading as Green Thermal Energy Technologies and gTET - contract research from (2017 to 2020)