Dr Nuwantha Fernando in a Chartered Professional Engineer and a Member of the Engineers Australia. He specialises in electrical machines, drives and control.
Dr Nuwantha Fernando in a Chartered Professional Engineer and a Member of the Engineers Australia. He specialises in electrical machines, drives and control. Dr Fernando has engaged with industry to develop high speed generators for microturbine power generation, aircraft power generation and low speed generators for vortex turbines. Dr Fernando serves as an editor of the IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion.
The research interests of Dr Fernando include investigation of electric machines, drives and control systems in general. He is particularly interested in the design of rare-earth free electric machine structures in addition to the investigation of new permanent magnet-based concepts such as magnetic gearing. Dr Fernando has also experienced with the design of electrical machines and drives for high-speed applications such as aero-engine embedded generators and control design for electric drives for high efficiency.
More information on Dr Fermando's past research
Lecturer in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- PhD Manchester 2012
- BSc (Hons) Moratuwa 2008
Member of the IEEE and the following societies within this body:
- Vehicular Technology Society (VTS)
- Power Electronics Society (PELS)
- Industrial Electronics Society (IES)
- June 2013 – present, Lecturer : School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University
- Dec 2011 – May 2013, Research Fellow at the Power Electronics, Machines and Control Group, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Sept 2008 – July 2011, Teaching Assistant at the Power Conversion Group, University of Manchester, UK.
- Nov 2007 – July 2008, Lecturer (temp) : Dept. of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
Recipient of the “Overseas Research Students Award and Research Scholarship“ 2008. Awarded by the University of Manchester.
Recipient of the best Electrical Engineering graduand Award 2007. Awarded by the Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Moratuwa.
- Thilakarathne Mudiyanselage, C.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, N. (2020). Real-time voltage stability assessment using phasor measurement units: Influence of synchrophasor estimation algorithms In: International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, 119, 1 - 13
- Saeed, J.,Wang, L.,Fernando, N. (2020). Disturbance Observer based Constrained Resonant Control of SRM Integrated EV Drive in Vehicle-to-Home (V2H) Operation In: Proceedings of the 21st IFAC World Congress (IFAC 2020), Berlin, Germany, 12-17 July 2020
- Jayarajan, R.,Fernando, W.,Ullah, I. (2019). A Review on Variable Flux Machine Technology: Topologies, Control Strategies and Magnetic Materials In: IEEE Access, 7, 70141 - 70156
- Saha, S.,Fernando, W.,Jayarajan, R.,Meegahapola, L. (2019). FSM Stator Tooth to Rotor Pole MEC Modelling and Full Machine Simulation In: 2019 IEEE 28th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), Vancouver, BC, Canada, 12-14 June 2019
- Saeed, J.,Niakinezhad, M.,Wang, L.,Fernando, N. (2019). An Integrated Charger with Hybrid Power Source Using PV Array for EV Application In: Proceedings of the IEEE 13th International Conference on Compatibility, Power Electronics and Power Engineering (CPE-POWERENG), Sonderborg, Denmark, 23-25 April 2019
- Saeed, J.,Niakinezhad, M.,Fernando, N.,Wang, L. (2019). Model Predictive Control of an Electric Vehicle Motor Drive Integrated Battery Charger In: Model Predictive Control of an Electric Vehicle Motor Drive Integrated Battery Charger, Sonderborg, Denmark, 23-25 April 2019
- Thilakarathne Mudiyanselage, C.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, W. (2018). A Modified Lyapunov Exponent based Approach for Real-Time Voltage Stability Assessment Using PMUs In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Power and Energy Systems (ICPES 2018), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 21-22 December 2018
- Thilakarathne Mudiyanselage, C.,Meegahapola, L.,Fernando, W.,Niakinezhad, M. (2018). PWM DAC based Input System for Synchrophasor Algorithm Testing In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Power and Energy Systems (ICPES 2018), Colombo, Sri Lanka, 21-22 December 2018
- Fernando, W.,Romanazzi, P.,McCulloch, M. (2018). Degradation of mechanical properties of class-H winding insulation In: Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC 2017), Miami, Florida, United States, 21-24 May 2017
- Niakinezhad, M.,Saeed, J.,Fernando, W.,Wang, L. (2018). An Integrated SRM Drive with Constant Current Constant Voltage Charging Capability for Electric Vehicle Application In: Proceedings of the 27th International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE 2018), Cairns, Australia, 13-15 June 2018
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- High-speed permanent magnet rotor post assembly magnetization and power conversion systems manufacture (G-TET). Funded by: Innovative Manufacturing CRC from (2021 to 2021)
- Donald and Tarnagulla Microgrid Feasibility Study – Area Hosting Capacity Assessment (administered by C4NET). Funded by: Regional and Remote Communities Reliability Fund - Microgrids: Competitive from (2020 to 2023)
- Power Rectification, Braking and Condition Monitoring for a High Speed Alternator System - ICG000701. Funded by: Mellin Pty Ltd trading as gTET from (2018 to 2019)
- Design and Simulation of High Speed Turbo Alternator for Micro Turbine Power Generation. Funded by: MELLIN Pty Ltd trading as Green Thermal Energy Technologies and gTET - contract research from (2017 to 2020)