Dr Gaunson is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Media & Communication
Steve is Higher Degree Research Director, DSC, which is one of three academic colleges at RMIT consisting of eight schools and 750 HDR candidates across a broad range of disciplines and with presence in Vietnam, Barcelona, Singapore and China. He leads HDR College activity as it relates to industry partnered projects, internships and international recruitment strategies.
In the School of Media & Communication, Steve teaches undergraduate cinema courses on adaptation, documentary, national cinema & film history.
He can be regularly heard on ABC Melbourne and Radio National as an expert commentator on the national film industry.
Dr Gaunson is the Coordinator of Higher Degrees Research (HDR) in the School of Media & Communication.
He serves on a number of internal committees including the School's HDR Committee (Chair), Academic Workload Allocation Model (AWAM) Committee, and the School Research Committee (SRC). He is also on the committee for the Australian Film Institute (AFI) Research Collection.
- Doctorate of Philosophy, School of Media and Communication, RMIT University, 2010
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours — Cinema Studies), LaTrobe University, 2000
- Bachelor of Arts (Media Studies), LaTrobe University, 1999
Dr Gaunson continues to work as a film script editor and assessor.
Produced featured films
2007: Script editor, Kings, De Facto Films (Tom Collins, Ireland)
Irish Film and Television Awards – Best Film (2007)
2005: Script editor, Dead Long Enough, De Facto Films (Tom Collins, Ireland)
Cardiff Film Festival – Audience Award Winner (2006)
- Strong, C.,Gaunson, S. (2021). Start Me Up: The Place and Displacement of Women in the Cinema of the Rolling Stones In: Mapping the Rockumentary, Edinburgh University Press, United Kingdom
- Gaunson, S. (2021). Front Row Center Stage at Mt. Rushmore: North by Northwest, Pastiche, Live Cinema and the Movie-Play In: Quarterly Review of Film and Video, 39, 1182 - 1197
- Batty, C.,Burne, P.,Gaunson, S. (2020). Screenwriting the Beach: Conflict, Catharsis and the Character Arc in Australian Film In: Writing the Australian Beach, Palgrave Macmillan, Switzerland
- Gaunson, S. (2019). Spirits Do Come Back: Bunyips and the European Gothic in The Babadook In: A Companion to Australian Cinema, John Wiley & Sons, United States
- Danks, A.,Gaunson, S.,Kunze, P. (2018). Where I'm calling from: An American-Australian cinema? In: American-Australian Cinema: Transnational Connections, Palgrave Macmillan, Switzerland
- Gaunson, S. (2018). American Cartel: Block Bookings and the Paramount Plan In: American-Australian Cinema, Springer, New York
- Gaunson, S. (2018). Queer strangers: Alfred Hitchcock's Fidelity to Patricia Highsmith In: Journal of Adaptation in Film & Performance, 11, 5 - 16
- Gaunson, S. (2018). Based on a True Story In: A Companion to the Gangster Film, John Wiley and Sons, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Gaunson, S. (2017). The 'Picture' habit: Bad decorum and delinquents at the Silent Cinema In: Participations: Journal of Audience & Reception Studies, 14, 608 - 617
- Gaunson, S. (2017). White Male History: The Genre and Gender of The Proposition In: Australian Screen in the 2000s, Palgrave Macmillan, United Kingdom
4 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions