Catherine Gomes is an Associate Professor in RMIT's School of Media and Communication.
Catherine is an ethnographer whose work contributes to the understanding of the evolving migration, mobility and digital media nexus. As a migration and mobility scholar, Catherine specialises on the social, cultural and communication spaces of transient migrants, especially international students, their wellbeing and their digital engagement.
Catherine's work covers the themes of identity, ethnicity, race, memory and gender. She is a specialist on the Asia-Pacific with Australia and Singapore being significant fieldwork sites. Catherine has also written about gender and audience reception in Chinese cinemas, and multiculturalism in Singapore cinema.
Catherine's recent books include Transient Mobility and Middle Class Identity: Media and Migration in Australia and Singapore (Palgrave Macmillan, 2017), International student connectedness and identity: transnational perspectives (with Ly Thi Tran, Springer, 2017), The Asia Pacific in the Age of Transnational Mobility: The Search for Community and Identity on and through Social Media (Anthem Press, 2016), Quality Assurance in Asia-Pacific Universities
Implementing Massification in Higher Education (with Deane E. Neubauer, Palgrave Macmillan, 2017) and Multiculturalism through the Lens: A Guide to Ethnic and Migrant Anxieties in Singapore (Ethos Books, 2015).
Catherine is leader of the Migration and Digital Media Research Lab (MDM) housed in the Digital Ethnography Research Centre (DERC). She is also founding editor of Transitions: Journal of Transient Migration (Intellect Books). Catherine was also an Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher (DECRA) in 2013-2016. She was also a Visiting Research Fellow at the Singapore Management University in 2014.
Currently Catherine teaches in the Asian Media and Culture stream.
- PhD (University of Melbourne)
- MA (National University of Singapore)
- BA (Hons) (University of Western Australia)
- National Conference Program Chair and Member, ISANA
- Member, International Education Association of Australia
- (Founding Editor) Transitions: Journal of Transient Migration
- (Editorial boards) International Journal of Bias, Identity and Diversities in Education
- Ethnicity and Race in a Changing World: A Review Journal, University of Manchester
- Aedificamus: The Queen's Journal, Queen's College, University of Melbourne
Accomplishments / achievements / awards
- Australian Research Council DECRA Research Fellow, 2013-2016
- Visiting Research Fellow (Singapore Management University)
- RMIT Teaching Award for teaching a diverse student body, 2012
- College of Design and Social Context Teaching Excellence Award for Teaching Large Classes, 2011
- Gomes, C. (2018). Navigating through the hostility: International students in Singapore In: Educational Reciprocity and Adaptivity: International Students and Stakeholders, Taylor and Francis, United Kingdom
- Gomes, C. (2018). Siloed Diversity: Transnational Migration, Digital Media and Social Networks, Palgrave Pivot, Singapore
- Gomes, C. (2017). Disconnections with the host nation and the significance of international student communities: A case study of Asian international students in Australia and Singapore In: International Student Connectedness and Identity, Springer, Singapore
- Gomes, C.,Tran, L. (2017). International student (dis)connectedness and identities : Why these matter and the way forward In: International Student Connectedness and Identity, Springer, Singapore
- Gomes, C. (2017). Transient mobility and middle class identity: media and migration in Australia and Singapore, Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore
- Gomes, C.,Chang, S. (2017). Digital journeys: A perspective on understanding the digital experiences of international students In: Journal of International Students, 7, 347 - 366
- Neubauer, D.,Gomes, C. (2017). Creating cultures of quality within Asia Pacific higher education institutions In: Quality Assurance in Asia-Pacific Universities: Implementing Massification in Higher Education, Palgrave Macmillan, Switzerland
- Gomes, C. (2017). Casting the Net Wider: Coping with an increasingly diverse international student body in Australia In: Quality Assurance in Asia-Pacific Universities: Implementing Massification in Higher Education, Palgrave Macmillan, Switzerland
- Neubauer, D.,Gomes, C. (2017). Conclusion: When all is said and done In: Quality Assurance in Asia-Pacific Universities: Implementing Massification in Higher Education, Palgrave Macmillan, Switzerland
- Chang, S.,Gomes, C. (2017). International student identity and the digital environment In: Learning Across Cultures: Locally and Globally, NAFSA and Stylus Publishing, United States
- Contact Points: Enabling international students during critical incidents. Funded by: Competitive - Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources from (2018 to 2019)
- Media and transient migrants in Australia and Singapore: mapping identities and networks. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher from (2013 to 2016)
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions