Dr Chamila Gunasekara is an expert in Construction Materials and Structural Engineering. His primary research interests are focussed on creation of novel solutions for construction materials incorporating numerous waste materials & digital technologies, and enhancing the sustainability in construction by creating smart built environment using information and communications technology.
Research interest and current focuses
- Geopolymer Concrete, Concrete Technology
- Material Characterisation, Reclaimed Waste Resources to Engineered Materials
- Concrete Durability, Electrochemical Monitoring & Non-destructive Testing
- Digital Engineering for Sustainability
- Concrete structures, behaviour, Condition Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment & Whole Life Costing of Concrete Infrastructure
- Dr Chamila Gunasekara's publications can be viewed at his Google Scholar page.
Awards and Honours
- Commendation industry prize in the field of Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Capstone Research Project, EnGenius 2019, RMIT University.
- Chang Jiang Scholarship & Travel Award to the second NPU Aoxiang Forum for Distinguished Young Scholars, Xi’an, China, 2017.
- Research Publications Grant award, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia, 2016.
- Scholarship award for Doctor of Philosophy (2013-2016), School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia.
- Asian Development Bank–Japan (ADB–JSP) Scholarship award for Master of Engineering (2010-2012) at Saitama University, Japan.
- Ph.D (Construction Material Engineering), RMIT University, Australia, 2016.
- M.Eng (Structural Engineering), Saitama University, Japan, 2012.
- B.Sc. Eng. Honours (Civil Engineering), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2007.
- Lecturer, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia (May 2021–To date)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia (July 2016–April 2021)
- Structural Design Engineer, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau, Sri Lanka (2008–2013)
- Civil Engineer (Construction), MAGA Engineering Pte Ltd., Sri Lanka (2007–2008)
Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Member, Engineers Australia, CP.Eng, NER
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Tran, N.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Houshyar, S.,Setunge, S.,Cwirzen, A. (2021). (In Press) Comprehensive review on sustainable fiber reinforced concrete incorporating recycled textile waste In: Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials, , 1 - 22
- Tran, N.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Houshyar, S.,Setunge, S.,Cwirzen, A. (2021). A critical review on drying shrinkage mitigation strategies in cement-based materials In: Journal of Building Engineering, 38, 1 - 17
- Rahman, M.,Law, D.,Patnaikuni, I.,Gunasekara, C.,Tahmasebi Yamchelou, M. (2021). Low-Grade Clay as an Alkali-Activated Material In: Applied Sciences, 11, 1 - 17
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Giustozzi, F.,Gunasekara, C.,Setunge, S.,Venkatesan, S. (2021). (In Press) Hydraulic characteristics of stabilised expansive subgrade soils in road pavements In: International Journal of Pavement Engineering, , 1 - 18
- Gunasekara, C.,Atzarakis, P.,Law, D.,Setunge, S. (2021). Novel analytical method for mix design and performance prediction of high calcium fly ash geopolymer concrete In: Polymers, 13, 1 - 21
- Herath Mudiyanselage, C.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S. (2021). Long term creep and shrinkage of nano silica modified high volume fly ash concrete In: Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials, , 1 - 21
- Nanayakkara, O.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Xia, J.,Setunge, S. (2021). Alkali-Activated Slag Concrete with Recycled Aggregate: Long-Term Performance In: Journal Materials in Civil Engineering, 33, 1 - 10
- Fernando, K.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R. (2021). Life cycle assessment and cost analysis of fly ash–rice husk ash blended alkali-activated concrete In: Journal of Environmental Management, 295, 1 - 11
- Fernando, K.,Nasvi, M.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R. (2021). Systematic Review on Alkali-Activated Binders Blended with Rice Husk Ash In: Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 33, 1 - 18
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Gunasekara, C.,Giustozzi, F.,Setunge, S. (2021). Mechanism of Enzyme Stabilization for Expansive Soils Using Mechanical and Microstructural Investigation In: International Journal of Geomechanics, 21, 1 - 15
11 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions2 PhD Completions