Dr Chamila Gunasekara is an expert in Construction Materials and Structural Engineering. His primary research interests are focussed on creation of novel solutions for construction materials incorporating numerous waste materials & digital technologies, and enhancing the sustainability in construction by creating smart built environment using information and communications technology.
Research interest and current focuses
- Geopolymer Concrete, Concrete Technology
- Material Characterisation, Reclaimed Waste Resources to Engineered Materials
- Concrete Durability, Electrochemical Monitoring & Non-destructive Testing
- Digital Engineering for Sustainability
- Concrete structures, behaviour, Condition Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment & Whole Life Costing of Concrete Infrastructure
- Dr Chamila Gunasekara's publications can be viewed at his Google Scholar page.
Awards and Honours
- Commendation industry prize in the field of Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Capstone Research Project, EnGenius 2019, RMIT University.
- Chang Jiang Scholarship & Travel Award to the second NPU Aoxiang Forum for Distinguished Young Scholars, Xi’an, China, 2017.
- Research Publications Grant award, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia, 2016.
- Scholarship award for Doctor of Philosophy (2013-2016), School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia.
- Asian Development Bank–Japan (ADB–JSP) Scholarship award for Master of Engineering (2010-2012) at Saitama University, Japan.
- Ph.D (Construction Material Engineering), RMIT University, Australia, 2016.
- M.Eng (Structural Engineering), Saitama University, Japan, 2012.
- B.Sc. Eng. Honours (Civil Engineering), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2007.
- Lecturer, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia (May 2021–To date)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia (July 2016–April 2021)
- Structural Design Engineer, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau, Sri Lanka (2008–2013)
- Civil Engineer (Construction), MAGA Engineering Pte Ltd., Sri Lanka (2007–2008)
Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Member, Engineers Australia, CP.Eng, NER
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Tran, N.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Houshyar, S.,Setunge, S. (2023). Repurposing of blended fabric waste for sustainable cement-based composite: Mechanical and microstructural performance In: Construction and Building Materials, 362, 1 - 12
- Myadaraboina, H.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D. (2022). Engineering properties of very high volume fly ash composite In: Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, , 1 - 14
- Fernando, K.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R.,Robert, D. (2022). Environmental evaluation and economic analysis of fly ash-rice husk ash blended alkali-activated bricks In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 95, 1 - 12
- Tran, N.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Houshyar, S.,Setunge, S. (2022). Microstructural characterisation of cementitious composite incorporating polymeric fibre: A comprehensive review In: Construction and Building Materials, 335, 1 - 18
- Wijeyawardana, P.,Nanayakkara, N.,Gunasekara, C.,Karunarathna, A.,Law, D.,Pramanik, B. (2022). Removal of Cu, Pb and Zn from stormwater using an industrially manufactured sawdust and paddy husk derived biochar In: Environmental Technology & Innovation, 28, 1 - 16
- Pooni, J.,Robert, D.,Giustozzi, F.,Gunasekara, C.,Setunge, S. (2022). A review on soil stabilisation of unsealed road pavements from an Australian perspective In: Road Materials and Pavement Design, , 1 - 45
- Patrisia, Y.,Law, D.,Gunasekara, C.,Wardhono, A. (2022). Life cycle assessment of alkali-activated concretes under marine exposure in an Australian context In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 96, 1 - 16
- Maheepala, M.,Nasvi, M.,Robert, D.,Gunasekara, C.,Kurukulasuriya, C. (2022). A comprehensive review on geotechnical properties of alkali activated binder treated expansive soil In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 363, 1 - 21
- Patrisia, Y.,Law, D.,Gunasekara, C.,Wardhono, A. (2022). The role of Na2O dosage in iron rich fly ash geopolymer mortar In: Archives Civil and Mechanical Engineering, 22, 1 - 17
- Fernando, S.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R.,Ismail, M. (2022). Long-Term Mechanical Properties of Blended Fly Ash-Rice Husk Ash Alkali-Activated Concrete In: ACI Materials Journal, 119, 175 - 188
15 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- Eco-friendly low shrinkage concrete integrating upcycled textile waste. Funded by: ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award (DECRA) 2023 from (2023 to 2025)
- Manufactured Novel Concrete products integrating Reclaimed Waste for Commercial Applications. Funded by: Circular Economy Markets Fund: Materials from (2022 to 2025)
- Novel Recycled Plastic Products for Structural Applications. Funded by: Sustainability Victoria - Recycling Victoria Research & Development Fund from (2022 to 2025)
- (TREMS Theme 3/4, Project 7) Material modelling, accelerated testing and field trials for concrete and asphalt incorporating waste . Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2026)
- (TREMS, Theme 4, Project 10) Behaviour of Glass Fibre Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) confined aggregate concrete piles. Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2023)