Dr Chamila Gunasekara is an expert in Construction Materials and Structural Engineering. His primary research interests are focussed on creation of novel solutions for construction materials incorporating numerous waste materials & digital technologies, and enhancing the sustainability in construction by creating smart built environment using information and communications technology.
Research interest and current focuses
- Geopolymer Concrete, Concrete Technology
- Material Characterisation, Reclaimed Waste Resources to Engineered Materials
- Concrete Durability, Electrochemical Monitoring & Non-destructive Testing
- Digital Engineering for Sustainability
- Concrete structures, behaviour, Condition Assessment
- Environmental Impact Assessment & Whole Life Costing of Concrete Infrastructure
- Dr Chamila Gunasekara's publications can be viewed at his Google Scholar page.
Awards and Honours
- Commendation industry prize in the field of Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Capstone Research Project, EnGenius 2019, RMIT University.
- Chang Jiang Scholarship & Travel Award to the second NPU Aoxiang Forum for Distinguished Young Scholars, Xi’an, China, 2017.
- Research Publications Grant award, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia, 2016.
- Scholarship award for Doctor of Philosophy (2013-2016), School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia.
- Asian Development Bank–Japan (ADB–JSP) Scholarship award for Master of Engineering (2010-2012) at Saitama University, Japan.
- Ph.D (Construction Material Engineering), RMIT University, Australia, 2016.
- M.Eng (Structural Engineering), Saitama University, Japan, 2012.
- B.Sc. Eng. Honours (Civil Engineering), University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka, 2007.
- Lecturer, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia (May 2021–To date)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, School of Engineering, RMIT University, Australia (July 2016–April 2021)
- Structural Design Engineer, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau, Sri Lanka (2008–2013)
- Civil Engineer (Construction), MAGA Engineering Pte Ltd., Sri Lanka (2007–2008)
Affiliations and Professional Memberships
- Member, Engineers Australia, CP.Eng, NER
- Member, Concrete Institute of Australia
- Liu, J.,Li, S.,Gunasekara, C.,Fox, K.,Tran, P. (2022). 3D-printed concrete with recycled glass: Effect of glass gradation on flexural strength and microstructure In: Construction and Building Materials, 314, 1 - 18
- Gunasekara, C.,Lokuge, W.,Law, D.,Setunge, S. (2022). Mix design of fly ash based alkali activated concrete In: Advances on Alkali-activated Concrete, Elsevier, United Kingdom
- Fernando, K.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R. (2022). Engineering properties of waste-based alkali activated concrete brick containing low calcium fly ash and rice husk ash: A comparison with traditional Portland cement concrete brick In: Journal of Building Engineering, 46, 1 - 13
- Fernando, K.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R.,Ismail, M. (2022). Investigation of the reaction mechanism of blended fly ash and rice husk ash alkali-activated binders In: Archives of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, 22, 1 - 15
- Krishnya, S.,Herath Mudiyanselage, C.,Elakneswaran, Y.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S. (2022). Modelling of hydration products and strength development for high-volume fly ash binders In: Construction and Building Materials, 320, 1 - 10
- Wijeyawardana, P.,Nanayakkara, N.,Gunasekara, C.,Karunarathna, A.,Law, D.,Pramanik, B. (2022). Improvement of heavy metal removal from urban runoff using modified pervious concrete In: Science of The Total Environment, 815, 1 - 15
- Myadaraboina, H.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D. (2022). Engineering properties of very high volume fly ash composite In: Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure, , 1 - 14
- Fernando, K.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Nasvi, M.,Setunge, S.,Dissanayake, R.,Robert, D. (2022). Environmental evaluation and economic analysis of fly ash-rice husk ash blended alkali-activated bricks In: Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 95, 1 - 12
- Herath Mudiyanselage, C.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S. (2021). Long term mechanical performance of nano-engineered high volume fly ash concrete In: Journal of Building Engineering, 43, 1 - 14
- Seneviratne, R.,Gunasekara, C.,Law, D.,Setunge, S.,Robert, D. (2021). Long-Term Mechanical Properties of Geopolymer Aggregate Concrete In: ACI Structural Journal, 118, 135 - 147
12 PhD Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- Novel Recycled Plastic Products for Structural Applications. Funded by: Sustainability Victoria - Recycling Victoria Research & Development Fund from (2022 to 2024)
- Behaviour of Glass Fibre Reinforced Polymer (GFRP) confined aggregate concrete piles. Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub 2018 onwards from (2021 to 2023)