Dr Lauren Gurrieri is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Economics, Finance and Marketing at RMIT University
Dr Gurrieri's research examines gender, consumption and the marketplace, with a focus on gendered inequalities in consumer and digital cultures. This includes gendered representations in advertising and social media; body norms and beauty ideals in consumer culture; violence against women and marketing; and the strategies used by women to resist and challenge exclusion and marginalisation in the marketplace.
Her scholarship has been published in a range of leading journals, including Gender, Work & Organisation, Journal of Business Research, Consumption, Markets & Culture and the Journal of Macromarketing. View my Google scholar profile.
Dr Gurrieri is a Board Member of the Consumer Culture Theory Consortium, an Advisory Board Member for GENMAC (Gender, Marketing and Consumer Behaviour) and is an Associate Editor at the Journal of Marketing Management.
She is the recipient of various research and teaching awards and is a regular contributor to the Australian media, particularly regarding issues related to gender, marketing and consumer culture. View my Conversation profile.
She has provided expert advice and invited presentations on gender equality to the Ministerial Council on Women's Equality (Victorian Government), Australian Association of National Advertisers, City of Melbourne and to various health and women's organisations.
- PhD, University of Melbourne
- GradCertLearn&Teach (Higher Education), Swinburne University of Technology
- BCom (Hons), University of Melbourne
- BA, University of Melbourne
- McVey, L.,Gurrieri, L.,Tyler, M. (2021). The structural oppression of women by markets: the continuum of sexual violence and the online pornography market In: Journal Journal of Marketing Management, 37, 40 - 67
- Drenten, J.,Gurrieri, L.,Tyler, M. (2020). Sexualized labour in digital culture: Instagram influencers, porn chic and the monetization of attention In: Gender, Work and Organization, 27, 41 - 66
- Wake, A.,O'Halloran, K.,Finn, F.,Gurrieri, L.,French, L. (2020). �Australia�. In Global Alliance on Media and Gender, Bejing +25: Country Reports by GAMAG members assessing progress, gaps and opportunities on gender, media and ICTs. In: Global Alliance on Media and Gender (GAMAG) online
- Gurrieri, L. (2020). (In Press) Patriarchal marketing and the symbolic annihilation of women In: Journal of Marketing Management, , 1 - 7
- Gurrieri, L.,Drenten, J. (2019). The hashtaggable body: Negotiating gender performance in social media In: Handbook of Research on Gender and Marketing, Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, Cheltenham, United Kingdom
- Gurrieri, L.,Drenten, J. (2019). The feminist politics of choice: lipstick as a marketplace icon In: Consumption Markets & Culture, , 1 - 17
- Gurrieri, L.,Hoffman, R. (2019). Addressing and preventing sexist advertising: an analysis of local and global promising practice In: Women's Health Victoria/Victorian Government Melbourne, Australia
- Gurrieri, L.,McKenzie, M.,Bugden, M. (2019). Community responses to gender portrayals in advertising: a research paper In: Women's Health Victoria/ Victorian Government Melbourne, Australia
- Gurrieri, L.,Drenten, J. (2019). Visual storytelling and vulnerable health care consumers: normalising practices and social support through Instagram In: Journal of Services Marketing, 33, 702 - 720
- Gurrieri, L.,Gordon, R.,Barraket, J.,Joyce, A.,Green, C. (2018). Social marketing and social movements: creating inclusive social change coalitions In: Journal of Social Marketing, 8, 354 - 377
4 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
- In it to win it: An interdisciplinary investigation of sports betting (administered by Queensland University of Technology). Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2019 from (2019 to 2022)
- Gender equity in advertising project (administered by Women's Health Victoria). Funded by: Department of Health and Human Services Contract from (2018 to 2019)