Kathy Jordan is a Senior Lecturer in Literacy in the School of Education at RMIT University.
Kathy Jordan is an experienced researcher in the areas of the introduction of ICT to school settings, teacher use of ICT, blended learning, sociology of ICT, the teaching of English, beginning teachers, and teacher networks.
Recently Kathy has been a principal researcher in the Supporting New Teachers’ Practice program, a Department of Education and Early childhood Development (DEECD) funded program of around $1.3 million, which aims to support beginning teachers as they face the challenges of being new to the profession. Using a blended learning design, the three year program will involve up to 600 beginning teachers from across the state.
Kathy is a Project Coordinator for the Teaching Teachers for the Future project, a national project funded by Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) through the ICT Innovation Fund, and supported by the Australian Council of Deans of Education, AITSL (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership), ESA (Education Services Australia) and ACCE (Australian Council for Computers in Education) of around $8.8 million. This project aims to specifically target systematic change in the ICT proficiency of graduate teachers.
Research grants and consultancy
Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). (2011-2012). Teaching Teachers for the Future project. $8.8 million.
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD.) (2010-2012. Supporting New Teachers Practice Program. $1.3 million.
Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). (2008). Improving the Professional Component of Teacher Education. $35, 000.
RMIT Learning and Teaching fund (LTIF). (2010). Cert IV project. $1, 500.
Kathy is an experienced secondary school teacher and university educator and teaches in teacher preparation programs in the areas of English Method, teaching principles and practices and integrating curriculum. She supervises research students around the teaching of literacy, and the use of ICT in school and higher education settings.
Bachelor of Arts, Diploma in Education, Masters of Education, PhD (La Trobe University).
Recipient of Early Career Researcher Award (2009) for Most Outstanding Paper, awarded by the Australian Association of Researchers in Education (AARE).
Recipient of La Trobe University Scholarship (1998), awarded to most promising researchers.
- Jordan, K. (2019). Reading STEM as discourse In: STEM Education: An Emerging Field of Inquiry, Koninklijke Brill, Leiden, Netherlands
- Compton, L.,Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2018). Innovative Tactic for educational technology implementation: Using goal-based coaching on placement in Australia In: Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2018, Washington, DC U.S, 26-30 March, 2018
- Al Lily, A.,Foland, J.,Stoloff, D.,Jordan, K. et al, . (2017). Academic domains as political battlegrounds: A global enquiry by 99 academics in the fields of education and technology In: Information Development, 33, 270 - 288
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2017). Designing teacher education programs that produce ICT ready graduates In: Computers Supported Education: 8th International Conference, CSEDU 2016, Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2016). Pre-service teacher ICT tool-kit - the role of the setting In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Education (CSEDU 2016), Rome, Italy, 21-23 April 2016
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K.,Carr, N. (2016). Innovating in First Year Pre-service Teacher Education: "Buddy Up" In: Teacher Education: Innovation, Intervention and Impact, Springer, Singapore
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2016). Designing Meaningful Learning Environments in a Work- Integrated-Learning Course Using a DOCC Design In: Revolutionizing Modern Education through Meaningful E-Learning Implementation, IGI Global, Hershey, United States
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K. (2016). Reframing professional experience: adopting a distributed open collaborative course framework to facilitate third spaces In: Global Learning in the 21st Century, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Dinh, H.,Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2015). Measuring TPACK in Vietnam: Issues still remain In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 22-24 June 2016
- Jordan, K.,Compton, L. (2015). Pre-service teacher ICT skill-set: Not a simple issue In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015, Kona, Hawaii, 19-22 October 2015
2 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions
- Entrepreneurial Futures: tracking the impact of the tech schools and 21st century employability skills on students, teachers, and school communities in northern and western regions. Funded by: Victoria Department of Education and Training Seed Funding for Strategic Research 2018 from (2018 to 2019)