Dr Kelly lectures in media production, with a focus on documentary practice, interactive media, career development, social media, and practice-led research.
Patrick is a filmmaker, writer and academic, who completed his PhD in Creative Media at RMIT in 2013. The filmic practice-led project examined the auratic experience of traditional and contemporary media and saw him going offline for a period of 80 days in 2011 – an experience documented in the film Detour Off the Superhighway.
Selected conference papers and public presentations
- Kelly, P. 2017. 'Working with Drones & Slow Media'. MINA MeetUp, 28 April.
- Kelly, P. 2016. 'Mobile Co-Creations with Aboriginal Partners: Developing Intercultural Competencies through Field Trip-based project work', MINA2016, Mobile Innovation Network Australasia, Swinburne University, 1 December.
- Kelly, P. & K. Flynn. 2016. 'Research, Communication, and Networking: Uplifting Capability for Career Development in Media Students', ASPERA - The Big Questions, University of Canberra, 6 July.
- Kelly, P. 2015. '"Are you sure you want to abandon this masterpiece?": Instamoji and Everyday Remix Art Practices', MINA2015, Mobile Innovation Network Australiasia, RMIT University, 19 November.
- Kelly, P. 2015. 'Experimenting with Distribution Models for the PhD Documentary', ASPERA - What's This Space: Screen Practice, Audiences and Education for the Future Decade, Flinders University, 15 July.
- Kelly, P. 2015. 'Creativity and Autoethnography: Representing the Self in Documentary Practice', New Factual Storytelling, University of Canberra, 10 April.
- Kelly, P. 'The Evocative Autoethnographic I: Authorship and Creativity in Documentary Practice', Camera Stylo, University of Sydney, 9 April.
- Berry, M., Keep, D. & P. Kelly. 2014. 'Lost in Space: Smartphones and distracted walking in public places', MINA2014, Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa, Auckland University of Technology, 20-21 November.
- Kelly, P. 2013. 'Detour Off the Superhighway: Media, Aura, and Filmic Practice', Transmedia, Slow Media, Superhighways and Eye-tracking, Digital Interventions and Screen Cultures, School of Media and Communication, RMIT, 10 December.
- Kelly, P. 2013. 'Slow Media Production and the Rise of Instagram Video', International Mobile Innovation Symposium, School of Media and Communication, RMIT, 9 December.
- Kelly, P. 2013. 'Mobile Platforms and the Presence of Aura', MINA2013, Mobile Innovation Network Aotearoa, Auckland University of Technology, 21 November.
- Kelly, P. 2013. 'Evocative Auto-Ethnography and Documentary Practice', Authorial Ethics in a Self-Authoring Age, Critical Animals Creative Research Symposium, 5 October.
- Kelly, P. 2012. 'Deliberate and Thoughtful Art and Film', Fast vs Slow Critical Arts, Critical Animals Creative Research Symposium, 28 September.
- Kelly, P. 2012. 'Detour Off the Superhighway: A Filmic Examination of Slow', Beyond Slowness in the Cinematic Image Symposium, School of Media and Communication, RMIT, 2 July.
- Kelly, P. 2012. 'Slow Media: Deliberate and Thoughtful Art and Film', The Second Annual London Film and Media Conference, The University of London, 23 June.
- Kelly, P. 2011. 'Online Places', Place Research Network Meeting, School of Media and Communication, RMIT, 21 October.
Awards and honours
- 2017 M&C Dean's Award for Integrated Scholarship
- 2016 DSC Conference Travel Funding
- 2012 RMIT DVC (R&I)'s Postgraduate Research Student International Conference Fund
- 2010-2013 RMIT PhD Scholarship
- 2010 Award of Excellence, Canada International Film Festival (for Lance Johnson in Person, as director/writer/producer)
- 2010 Official Selection, Tropical Alternative Film Festival (for Lance Johnson in Person, as director/writer/producer)
- 2007 First Prize, Montclair State University Film Festival (for Post Mortem Depression, as director/writer/editor)
- 2007 QUT Foreign Exchange Bursary
- 2007 Official Selection, International iPod Film Festival (for Spare, as director/writer/editor)
Patrick has recently taught in the following courses:
- COMM2786 Professional Research Project (Media)
- COMM2681 Media Career Development
- GRAP2627 Research Methods for Design & Digital Media
- COMM2533 Post Industrial Media
- COMM2680 Collaborative Media Project
- COMM2532 Contemporary Media Work Practices
He is the Deputy Program Manager of the Master of Media program. He also acts as the Work Integrated Learning (WIL) Coordinator within this program.
Patrick's research usually uses a practice-based research approach to projects that focus on filmmaking and mobile media, social media, and interactivity.
He is a co-curator and committee member of Mobile Innovation Network Australasia (MINA).
- PhD (Creative Media), RMIT University
- BFA (Film & Television Production) (Hons 1), Queensland University of Technology
Patrick has worked as a digital producer within the film, television, and online media industry since 2006. He has worked for Network Ten, Jonathan M Schiff Productions, and his clients have included the Queensland Department of State Development, Leading Aged Services Australia, and Body Electric Dance Studios.
He has collaborated with the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission and Winda Mara Aboriginal Corporation.
Patrick was a Co-Director of the Critical Animals creative arts festival (2014-2016).
His writing can be found at ABC’s The Drum, Fairfax, The Conversation, Mumbrella, The Lifted Brow and M/C Reviews.
- Kelly, P. (2017). Quo Grab #01 In: Melbourne Central Art Loop, Series Three: Issues of Tomorrow Melbourne, Australia
- Kelly, P. (2017). Quo Grab #02 In: 7th International Mobile Innovation Screening Melbourne, Australia
- Kelly, P. (2016). Creativity and autoethnography: Representing the self in documentary practice In: Screen Thought: A journal of image, sonic, and media humanities, 1, 1 - 9
- Kelly, P. (2015). From cinema to superhighway: A filmic examination of slow In: Altitude: An E-Journal of Emerging Humanities Work, 13, 1 - 16
- Kelly, P. (2015). Experimenting with distribution models for the PhD documentary In: Proceedings of What's This Space? Screen Practice, Audiences and Education for the Future Decade, Adelaide, Australia, 15-17 July 2015
- Kelly, P. (2015). Diorama #01 In: MINA International Mobile Innovation Screening Wellington, New Zealand
- Kelly, P. (2014). Slow media creation and the rise of instagram In: Mobile Media Making in an Age of Smartphones, Palgrave Pivot, United States
- Kelly, P. (2014). #Selfie #NoFilter In: MINA 4th International Mobile Innovation Screenings Wellington, New Zealand
- Kelly, P. (2014). Mobile video platforms and the presence of Aura In: Proceedings of the 2013 MINA Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 20-22 November 2013
- Kelly, P. (2013). North In: MINA 3rd International Mobile Innovation Screenings Wellington, New Zealand
1 PhD Current Supervisions and 3 Masters by Research Current Supervisions