Roger Kemp is a lecturer in the Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours).
Roger Kemp's background in commercial and hospitality design has informed his interest in the way in which interiors form a significant spatial and social contribution to the workings of a contemporary city.
He has extensive teaching experience in a range of settings in Interior Design. He has lead teaching workshops in a numbers of institutions including Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Doha, Qatar, Konkuk University in Seoul, South Korea and La Salle in Singapore.
Roger's active interdisciplinary design research practice, "Making Distance", in collaboration with Anthony Fryatt, utilises a range of media including film, installation, exhibition, drawings, models, montage and text to explore interiors beyond the restrictive parameter of interior space as a condition of enclosure. His work has been shown at Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI); Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art, Doha; Brighton University, UK; Form Gallery, State of Design Festival; Bus Projects; forty five downstairs; Pinup Gallery; Federation Square; Channel 31 and Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS). It has also been shortlisted for the Australian Interior Design Awards.
Research Strategies Coordinator
- Fridays: 10.00am - 1.00pm
- Negotiating space: a relational approach to Interior Design
- Looking into looking through: negotiating space an interior practice
- Thesis (M.A.) RMIT University, 2006 (Libraries Australia ID: 40659705, Record ID: NBD40659705)
- Executive Director of Interior Design / Interior Architecture Educators Association (IDEA).
- Design Institute of Australia (DIA), Educators Association – 2011 to present.
- Winner: RMIT University HDR Publication Excellence Prize (College of Design & Social Context). 2014.
- Shortlisted for the Australian Interior Design Awards – Project: 3 Tonne 'o' Space – Category Installation Design. 2009.
- Winner of Category: student centered teaching - Higher Education RMIT University 2001.
- Invited expert and mentor – 'Creating Well-Beings: Night Hack at the Melbourne Museum' - Melbourne Knowledge Week, 6th May 2017.
- Invited Lecture and Laboratory Leader: TASMEEM, Virginia Commonwealth University in Doha, Qatar 10 – 17th March 2013.
- TTP (Time Transcendence Performance) conference, Monash University with Fryatt, A., Rogers, C., Ritchard P., Carlin, D. Floor talk at installation at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI) October 3. 2009.
- Invited collaborative design studio ' Projects to Ride' and lecture with Konkuk University GSAK Seoul, South Korea 2009.
- Invited Lecture and Workshop Leader: International Federation of Interior Architects WING Conference, Dongseo University, Busan, Korea July 4 -11 2007.
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2018). Incomplete devices for interior production In: THE STORIES OF INTERIOR: Multiple Perspectives on Interiority, Depok, Indonesia , 30-31 January 2018
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2014). Quick/Slow Transition In: THISNESS Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2013). Making Space: Display Tactics (Lab F Foxtrot) In: Tasmeen Doha Hybrid Making Doha, Qatar
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2012). Complexity and Fullness In: IDEA 2012 Exhibition: An Interior Affair Perth, Australia
- Carlin, D.,Ritchard, P.,Rogers, C.,Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). The Motel project: reflections on a film production/interior design collaboration In: Text, 15, 1 - 15
- Kemp, R. (2011). Negotiating space: an interior practice In: Occupation: Negotiations with Constructed Space, Brighton, UK, 2-4 July, 2009
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). The Temperature's Rising (series two). Directed by Leo Berkeley In: The Temperature's Rising (series two) Melbourne, Australia
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). In the Pines. Curated by Joseph Norster In: In the Pines Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R.,Smith, P.,Gochman, D.,Herbert, A.,Teltscher Taylor, Z.,Baker-Gabb, P. (2010). The Temperature's Rising In: The Temperature's Rising Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2010). Layered Space In: X-Field Melbourne, Australia
2 Masters by Research Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions