Roger Kemp is the Program Manager of the Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours) at RMIT University.
Roger Kemp’s background in commercial and hospitality design has informed his interest in the way in which interiors form a significant spatial and social contribution to the workings of a contemporary city.
He has extensive teaching experience in a range of settings in Interior Design. He has lead teaching workshops in a numbers of institutions including Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Doha, Qatar, Konkuk University in Seoul, South Korea and La Salle in Singapore.
Roger’s active interdisciplinary design research practice, “Making Distance”, in collaboration with Anthony Fryatt, utilises a range of media including film, installation, exhibition, drawings, models, montage and text to explore interiors beyond the restrictive parameter of interior space as a condition of enclosure. His work has been shown at Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI); Mathaf: Arab Museum of Modern Art, Doha; Brighton University, UK; Form Gallery, State of Design Festival; Bus Projects; fortyfivedownstairs; Pinup Gallery; Federation Square; Channel 31 and Australian Film, Television and Radio School (AFTRS). It has also been shortlisted for the Australian Interior Design Awards.
Roger is an executive director of Interior Design / Interior Architecture Educators Association (IDEA).
Research Strategies Co-ordinator
- Negotiating space: a relational approach to Interior Design
- Looking into looking through: negotiating space an interior practice
- Thesis (M.A.) RMIT University, 2006 (Libraries Australia ID: 40659705, Record ID: NBD40659705)
Design Institute of Australia (DIA), Educators Association – 2011 to present
Shortlisted for the Australian Interior Design Awards
Project: 3 Tonne ‘o’ Space
Category: Installation Design, 2009
Winner of Category: Student Centered Teaching, Higher Education, RMIT University, 2001
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2014). Quick/Slow Transition In: THISNESS Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2013). Making Space: Display Tactics (Lab F Foxtrot) In: Tasmeen Doha Hybrid Making Doha, Qatar
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2012). Complexity and Fullness In: IDEA 2012 Exhibition: An Interior Affair Perth, Australia
- Carlin, D.,Ritchard, P.,Rogers, C.,Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). The Motel project: reflections on a film production/interior design collaboration In: Text, 15, 1 - 15
- Kemp, R. (2011). Negotiating space: an interior practice In: Occupation: Negotiations with Constructed Space, Brighton, UK, 2-4 July, 2009
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). The Temperature's Rising (series two). Directed by Leo Berkeley In: The Temperature's Rising (series two) Melbourne, Australia
- Kemp, R.,Fryatt, A. (2011). In the Pines. Curated by Joseph Norster In: In the Pines Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R.,Smith, P.,Gochman, D.,Herbert, A.,Teltscher Taylor, Z.,Baker-Gabb, P. (2010). The Temperature's Rising In: The Temperature's Rising Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R. (2010). Layered Space In: X-Field Melbourne, Australia
- Fryatt, A.,Kemp, R.,Carlin, D.,Ritchard, P. (2009). The Motel Project In: The Motel Project - Premiere Screening Melbourne, Australia
2 Masters by Research Completions