Dr Ma Qian is Distinguished Professor of Advanced Manufacturing and Materials at RMIT. Professor Qian has come to RMIT from The University of Queensland in 2013 where he was the Reader in Materials Engineering, School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering.Currently Professor Qian also holds the appointments of Honorary Professor of The University of Queensland, Australia, and Specially Appointed Professor of Osaka University, Japan.
Awards and honours
- Materials Australia's Lifetime Achievement Award (Highest Honour) (2022)
- Fellow of American Society for Metals International (FASM, 2020) ¾ ASM is the World's foremost professional society for materials scientists, engineers and technicians (established in 1913)
- RMIT Engineering 2019 Executive Dean's Research Excellence Award - Level E (professorial level)
- American Society for Metals International (ASM) 2006 Henry Howe Marion Medal
- TMS Light Metals 2003 - Magnesium Technology Award
- The inaugural Australian CAST-CRC Industry Partners Award (2003)
- The Australian CAST-CRC Commercialisation Award (2003)
- Five best papers awards
Academic outputs and impact
- Four Elsevier books + 294 peer-reviewed journal articles + 16 book chapters + 74 peer-reviewed full conference papers as of August 2023
Citations: > 18,800 Scopus (16,475, excluding self-citations of all authors); > 23,800 (Google Scholar)
- Among the top 266 materials scientists out of 315,721 researchers assessed by Stanford University for Career-long Impact using six criteria (2022)
- Strong and ductile titanium-oxygen-iron alloys by additive manufacturing”, Nature, 2023, 618, 63–68.
- “Low-density, high-strength metal mechanical metamaterials beyond the Gibson-Ashby model”, Materials Today, 2023 (DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.mattod.2023.07.018).
- “Migration of solidification grain boundaries and prediction”, Nature Communications, 2022, 13, 5910.
- “Grain structure control during metal 3D printing by high-intensity ultrasound”, Nature Communications, 2020, 11, 142.
- “Robust bulk micro-nano hierarchical copper structures possessing exceptional bactericidal efficacy”, Biomaterials, 2022, 280, 121721.
- “Ti-6Al-4V hollow-strut lattice materials by laser powder bed fusion”, Additive Manufacturing, 2023, 72, 103637.
- “Additive manufacturing of intricate lattice materials: Ensuring robust strut additive continuity to realize the design potential”, Additive Manufacturing, 2022, 58, 103022.
- “Near room-temperature formation of Cu3Sn: In-situ synchrotron X-ray diffraction characterization and thermodynamic assessments of its nucleation”, Acta Materialia 213 (2021) 116894.
- Light Alloys: Metallurgy of Light Metals, 544 pages, 5th edition, Elsevier, 2017 (I. Polmear, D. H. StJohn, J. F. Nie and M. Qian)
- Titanium Powder Metallurgy: Science, Technology and Applications, 648 pages, Elsevier, 2015 (M. Qian and F. H. Froes, editors)
- Titanium in Medical and Dental Applications, 630 pages. Elsevier, 2018 (F. H. Froes and M. Qian, editors)
- Titanium for Consumer Applications, 490 pages, Elsevier, 2019 (F. H. Froes, M. Qian, M. Niinomi, editors)
- One commercialised invention - a grain refinement technology for magnesium alloys (WO03062492; EP1466038; US20050161121; CN1639389A; DE60330309D1).
- Four other patent applications: WO2020132712; WO2022099375; CN2017/201710053977.3; CN2015/089698
- Associate Editor for Acta Materialia and Scripta Materialia
- Materials Australia Publications Committee Chair
- Series Editor of Elsevier for Additive Manufacturing Book Series
- Editorial member for eight other journals including Additive Manufacturing Letters & Advanced Powder Materials
- Initiated the biennial international conference on Powder Metallurgy Titanium (PM Ti) in 2011 in Australia [New Zealand (2013), Germany (2015), China (2017), United States (2019), Canada (2022) and Spain (2024)]
- Organising Committee Chair and Co-Chair for the first (2017) and second (2019) Asia-Pacific International Conference on Additive Manufacturing (APICAM), hosted by Materials Australia and held at RMIT University.
- Downing, D.,Rogers, J.,Tino, R.,Elambasseril, J.,Wallbrink, C.,Ma, Q.,Brandt, M.,Leary, M. (2023). A virtual stylus method for non-destructive roughness profile measurement of additive manufactured lattice structures In: International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 125, 3723 - 3742
- Almalki, A.,Downing, D.,Noronha, J.,Dash, J.,Lozanovski, B.,Tino, R.,Alghamdi, A.,Khorasani, A.,Ma, Q.,Brandt, M.,Leary, M. (2023). The effect of geometric design and materials on section properties of additively manufactured lattice elements In: International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 126, 3555 - 3577
- Noronha, J.,Rogers, J.,Leary, M.,Kyriakou, E.,Inverarity, S.,Das, R.,Brandt, M.,Ma, Q. (2023). Ti-6Al-4V hollow-strut lattice materials by laser powder bed fusion In: Additive Manufacturing, 72, 1 - 18
- Rogers, J.,Ma, Q.,Elambasseril, J.,Burvill, C.,Brice, C.,Wallbrink, C.,Brandt, M.,Leary, M. (2023). Fatigue test data applicability for additive manufacture: A method for quantifying the uncertainty of AM fatigue data In: Materials and Design, 231, 1 - 12
- Song, T.,Chen, Z.,Cui, X.,Lu, S.,Brandt, M.,Qian, M., et al, . (2023). Strong and ductile titanium–oxygen–iron alloys by additive manufacturing In: Nature, 618, 63 - 68
- Zhong, H.,Song, T.,Li, C.,Das, R.,Gu, J.,Ma, Q. (2023). The Gibson-Ashby model for additively manufactured metal lattice materials: Its theoretical basis, limitations and new insights from remedies In: Current Opinion in Solid State and Materials Science, 27, 1 - 18
- Noronha, J.,Dash, J.,Leary, M.,Downing, D.,Kyriakou, E.,Brandt, M.,Ma, Q. (2023). Node-reinforced hollow-strut metal lattice materials for higher strength In: Scripta Materialia, 234, 1 - 8
- Afroz, L.,Inverarity, S.,Ma, Q.,Easton, M.,Das, R. (2023). Analysing the effect of defects on stress concentration and fatigue life of L-PBF AlSi10Mg alloy using finite element modelling In: Progress in Additive Manufacturing, , 1 - 19
- Bahador, A.,Amrin, A.,Kariya, S.,Issariyapat, A.,Gokcekaya, O.,Zhao, G.,Umeda, J.,Yang, Y.,Ma, Q.,Kondoh, K. (2023). Excellent tensile yield strength with ultrafine grain and tailored microstructure in plastically deformed Ti–Re alloys In: Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 967, 1 - 10
- Zhong, H.,Das, R.,Gu, J.,Ma, Q. (2023). Low-density, high-strength metal mechanical metamaterials beyond the Gibson-Ashby model In: Materials Today, , 1 - 12
14 PhD Completions18 PhD Current Supervisions
- Design,Manufacture and Characterisati on of Material Systems for Ultra-High Temperature Application (PhD student Michael Ives, S3723900). Funded by: Defence Science Institute (DSI) Grant for Scholarships from (2023 to 2025)
- Ultrahigh strength maraging titanium alloys for additive manufacturing. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects commencing in 2022 from (2022 to 2025)
- Non-destructive detection and analysis in AM metal (PhD candidate Sana Awan). Funded by: CSIRO Post Graduate Top Up Scholarship from (2021 to 2025)
- A high-power-ultrasound 3D printing enabling apparatus for the manufacture of unique top-quality orthopaedic implants. Funded by: Harold and Cora Brennen Trust Grant from (2021 to 2023)
- Novel micro-architecture-optimised metal lattice structures by 3D printing. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects 2020 from (2020 to 2024)