Professor Jeff Shimeta
College / Portfolio: STEM College
School / Department: STEM|School of Science
Campus: Bundoora West
Contact me about: Research supervision
- Settlement of marine invertebrate larvae, particularly fouling species.
- Microbial ecology of aquatic biofilms.
- Ecology of aquatic protozoans.
- Impacts of ocean acidification on marine invertebrates.
- Impacts and control of the invasive saltmarsh grass Spartina anglica in Australia.
- Small-scale physical-biological interactions in marine ecology, particularly ecological effects of water flow.
- Mechanics of suspension feeding by aquatic invertebrates and protozoa.
- RMIT University, Lecturer, School of Applied Sciences, Dec. 2007 - present.
- Australian Maritime College, Lecturer, National Centre for Marine and Coastal Conservation, 2007. Taught marine science and meteorology.
- University of Melbourne, Lecturer, Zoology Dept., 2006-2007. Taught zoology and ecology.
- Australian Marine Ecology Pty. Ltd., Marine Ecologist, 2006. Conducted research as part of the Supplemental Environmental Effects Statement for the Port Phillip Bay Channel Deepening Project.
- University of California, Davis, California, U.S.A., Lecturer, Section of Evolution and Ecology, 2005. Taught zoology and evolution.
- University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., Visiting Associate Professor, Integrative Biology Dept., 2004. Taught biological oceanography.
- Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., Assistant Professor and Associate Professor, Biology Dept., 1997-2005. Taught marine ecology, zoology, and general biology. Led a research program on ecology of marine invertebrates and protozoa.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, U.S.A., Postdoctoral Scholar and Guest Investigator, Biology Dept. and Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering Dept., 1995-2000, 2004. Conducted research on marine protozoan ecology and mapping of epibenthic invertebrate assemblages.
- University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Miller Institute for Basic Research in Science and Integrative Biology Dept., 1993-1995. Conducted research on marine invertebrates.
- 2012 Outstanding Good Teaching Scale (BIOL2061), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2011 Outstanding Good Teaching Scale (BIOL2151, BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2011 RMIT University Teaching Award for widening participation in programs (Open Universities Australia online courses).
- 2010 Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning, Australian Learning and Teaching Council.
- 2010 Top 50 Course (BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering andHealth.
- 2009 Students' Choice Teaching Award, College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2009 RMIT University Teaching Award in Biological Sciences, Health and Related Studies.
- 2009 Top 50 Course (BIOL2255), College of Science, Engineering and Health.
- 2008 Teaching and Learning Award, School of Applied Sciences.
- Testing the waters (YouTube video)
Course coordinator for:
- BIOL2061: Field Practicum at Lizard Island Research Station, Great Barrier Reef
- BIOL2151 Animal Diversity
- BIOL2255 Marine Biology
- ENVI1009 The Ecosphere
- ENVI1145 Environmental Sampling and Analysis
- ONPS2334 Scientific Skills and Communication
- ONPS2335 The Professional Scientist
- ONPS2186 Science Project
Program leader for:
- BP229BISC Bachelor of Science (Biological Sciences)
- Ph.D. in Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., 1993
- B.A. in Biology with Distinction, Carleton College, Northfield, Minnesota, U.S.A., 1986
- Editorial Board Member, Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences, 2009-2011.
- Member of the Australian Marine Sciences Association (Victorian chapter Council Member), American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, International Society of Protistologists, and The Oceanography Society.
- Reviewer for the scientific journals American Naturalist; Aquatic Ecology; Aquatic Microbial Ecology; Biological Bulletin; Continental Shelf Research; Ecotoxicology; Estuaries; Freshwater Biology; Invertebrate Biology; Journal of Experimental Biology; Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology; Journal of Marine Systems; Journal of Sea Research; Journal of Theoretical Biology; Limnology and Oceanography; Limnology and Oceanography Methods; Marine Biology; Marine Ecology Progress Series; Oecologia; Proceedings of the Royal Society; Science.
- McSweeney, F.,Shimeta, J.,Buckeridge, J. (2022). Taungurungia gen. nov., from the Lower Devonian of Yea, central Victoria, Australia In: Memoirs of Museum Victoria, 81, 43 - 53
- McSweeney, F.,Shimeta, J.,Buckeridge, J. (2022). Lower Devonian Zosterophyllum-like plants from central Victoria, Australia, and their significance In: Memoirs of Museum Victoria, 81, 25 - 41
- Szabo, D.,Nuske, M.,Lavers, J.,Shimeta, J.,Green, M.,Mulder, R.,Clarke, B. (2022). A baseline study of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in waterfowl from a remote Australian environment In: Science of the Total Environment, 812, 1 - 8
- Al-Mamun, A.,Xue, Y.,Xiao, P.,Shimeta, J., et al, J. (2022). Community assembly of microbial habitat generalists and specialists in urban aquatic ecosystems explained more by habitat type than pollution gradient In: Water Research, 220, 1 - 12
- Piola, R.,Grandison, C.,Shimeta, J.,Del Frate, A.,Leary, M. (2022). Can vessel sea chest design improve fouling control coating performance? In: Ocean Engineering, 256, 1 - 13
- Roberts, K.,Wong, W.,Shimeta, J.,Kessler, A.,Cook, P. (2022). Recovery of denitrification and dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium following reoxygenation of sediments from a periodically hypoxic temperate lagoon In: Limnology and Oceanography, 67, 1879 - 1890
- Lewis, P.,Lashko, A.,Chiaradia, A.,Allinson, G.,Shimeta, J.,Emmerson, L. (2022). New and legacy persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in breeding seabirds from the East Antarctic In: Environmental Pollution, 309, 1 - 12
- Al Nabhani, K.,Salzman, S.,Shimeta, J.,Dansie, A.,Allinson, G. (2022). A temporal assessment of microplastics distribution on the beaches of three remote islands of the Yasawa archipelago, Fiji In: Marine Pollution Bulletin, 185, 1 - 8
- McSweeney, F.,Shimeta, J.,Buckeridge, J. (2021). Lower Devonian (Pragian–Emsian) land plants from Alexandra: An early window into the diversity of Victorian flora from southeastern Australia In: Alcheringa: An Australasian Journal of Palaeontology, 45, 315 - 328
- Espinosa-Gayosso, A.,Ghisalberti, M.,Shimeta, J.,Ivey, G. (2021). On predicting particle capture rates in aquatic ecosystems In: PL o S One, 16, 1 - 19
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
11 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions
Coastal and marine ecology, particularly relating to invertebrates and protozoa; Biomechanics of organism-flow interactions; Microbial food-web dynamics and nutrient cycling; microbial activities in impacted marine sediments; Settlement of marine invertebrate larvae
- Biodiversity Assessment of Marine Mammals in Victoria, Australia (PhD student: Jemima Beddoe). Funded by: Parks Victoria Contract from (2022 to 2026)
- Bioacoustic monitoring of frogs. Funded by: Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment - Grant from (2019 to 2020)
- Bioacoustic monitoring of frog populations. Funded by: Holsworth Wildlife Research Endowment Grant 2017 from (2018 to 2020)
- Bioacoustic Monitoring of Frogs (RPP 1718 P14). Funded by: Parks Victoria Research Partners Grant 2017 onwards from (2018 to 2019)
- Predictive capability for particle capture in aquatic ecosystems - Administered by the University of Western Australia. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University Grant 2015 from (2015 to 2017)