Dr Céline Valéry is a lecturer in pharmaceutical sciences, a researcher and a scientific consultant for the pharmaceutical industry.
Dr Valéry coordinates and teaches courses in pharmacology, pharmacokinetics and drug regulations across different disciplines, including pharmacy, nursing, pharmaceutical sciences and allied health at all year levels. Dr Valéry is an internationally recognised physicochemist and drug development expert, with several years of pharmaceutical industry experience.
Dr Valéry has created a video in the TED-Ed Original lessons series titled 'How does your body process medicine?'. The video presents the basic concepts of pharmacokinetics and in the few weeks since its launch has had over four million views across Facebook, YouTube (view video) and other social media.
Dr Valéry has extensive industry experience. She was a researcher for several years in the pharmaceutical industry, with a special focus on therapeutic protein/peptide formulation and pharmaceutical nanotechnology. She was involved in the FDA and EMA approval of the first peptide nanotechnology formulation based on peptide self-assembly. She is co-inventor of 3 patents in therapeutic peptide formulation and chemistry.
Dr Valéry is an internationally recognised physicochemist and drug development expert. She currently acts as a scientific advisor for Mc Kinsey & company (high profile consultancy company) and as a scientific consultant for the pharmaceutical industry.
Professional community involvement
Dr Valéry is an assessor for:
- scientific journals, including:
- the Journal of the American Chemical Society (ACS),
- Interface Focus (RSC),
- Biopolymers (Wiley),
- the Journal of Peptide Science (Wiley),
- and the Journal of Physical Chemistry B (ACS).
- Australian synchrotron experiment proposals for the infrared and small angle X-ray scattering beam lines.
- PhD theses in chemistry/physicochemistry.
- Aburachid Cardoso, P.,Appiah Danso, S.,Hung, A.,Dekiwadia, C.,Pradhan, N.,Strachan, J.,McDonald, B.,Firipis, K.,White, J.,Aburto Medina, A.,Conn, C.,Valery, C. (2023). Rational design of potent ultrashort antimicrobial peptides with programmable assembly into nanostructured hydrogels In: Frontiers in Chemistry, , 1 - 17
- Strachan, J.,Dyett, B.,Chan, S.,McDonald, B.,Vlahos, R.,Valery, C.,Conn, C. (2023). A promising new oral delivery mode for insulin using lipid-filled enteric-coated capsules In: Biomaterials Advances, 148, 1 - 10
- Chaturvedi, M.,Raj, R.,Yadav, S.,Srivastava, T.,Devi, S.,Dharmadana, D.,Valery, C.,Sharma, S.,Kumar, D.,Priya, S. (2023). Implications of In Vitro Multi-Serine Phosphorylation of Alpha-Synuclein in Aggregation and Cytotoxicity In: ACS Chemical Neuroscience, , 1 - 10
- Babu Reddiar, V.,Zhai, J.,Dyett, B.,Yu, H.,Hoffmann, S.,Jones, N.,Reynolds, N.,Valery, C.,Drummond, C.,Conn, C. (2022). Lipid membrane-mediated assembly of the functional amyloid-forming peptide Somatostatin-14 In: Biophysical Chemistry, 287, 1 - 10
- Cardoso, P.,Glossop, H.,Meikle, T.,Aburto Medina, A.,Conn, C.,Sarojini, V.,Valery, C. (2021). Molecular engineering of antimicrobial peptides: microbial targets, peptide motifs and translation opportunities In: Biophysical Reviews, 13, 1 - 35
- Strachan, J.,Dyett, B.,Jones, N.,Hoffmann, S.,Valery, C.,Conn, C. (2021). Reduction of enzymatic degradation of insulin via encapsulation in a lipidic bicontinuous cubic phase In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 592, 135 - 144
- Suzuki, H.,Mahapatra, D.,Board, A.,Steel, P.,Dyer, J.,Gerrard, J.,Dobson, R.,Valery, C. (2020). Sub-Ångstrom structure of collagen model peptide (GPO)10 shows a hydrated triple helix with pitch variation and two proline ring conformations In: Food Chemistry, 319, 1 - 10
- Strachan, J.,Dyett, B.,Nasa, Z.,Valery, C.,Conn, C. (2020). Toxicity and Cellular Uptake of Lipid Nanoparticles of Different Structure and Composition In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 576, 241 - 251
- Strachan, J.,Dharmadana, D.,Dyett, B.,Valery, C.,Conn, C. (2020). Encapsulation and controlled release of the therapeutic neuropeptides somatostatin and oxytocin from the lipidic bicontinuous cubic phase In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, 73, 1042 - 1050
- Dharmadana, D.,Adamcik, J.,Ryan, T.,Appiah Danso, S.,Chong, C.,Conn, C.,Reynolds, N.,Mezzenga, R.,Valery, C. (2020). Human neuropeptide substance P self-assembles into semi-flexible nanotubes that can be manipulated for nanotechnology In: Nanoscale, 12, 22680 - 22687
5 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions
- ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub for Digital Bioprocess Development: Project 1.3 - Product Quality. Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub from (2022 to 2027)
- The ARC Research Hub for Digital Bioprocess Development (The University of Melbourne-led). Funded by: ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub from (2022 to 2027)
- Optimising preparatory conditions for cryo-SEM of peptide hydrogels. Funded by: CSIRO Student Agreement from (2019 to 2021)
- New strategy for managing diabetic retinopathy - evaluation of somatostatin formulations. Funded by: 111-Diabetes Australia Research Trust Grant 2018 from (2018 to 2019)