Molecular biology and food microbiology, especially pertaining to antibiotic resistance and virulence of bacterial pathogens, development of veterinary vaccines against viral and bacterial pathogens.
I was invited to present at the ERHIC II world conference in Nuremberg, Germany, which gathered experts from over 100 countries, in which I was recognised as one of the contributors in the field of antibiotic resistance:
Thi Thu Hao Van, George Moutafis, Taghrid Istivan, Linh Thuoc Tran and Peter J Coloe. Molecular Characterization of Antibiotic Resistance in Selected Enteropathogens Isolated from Raw Food Samples in Vietnam. Ehrlich II – 2nd World Conference on Magic Bullets, October 3-5, 2008.
Currently I am working on a project with Professor Peter Coloe - "Creation of a Salmonella-vectored avian influenza vaccine that protects against bird flu H5N1".
I also supervise research students’ projects on avian virus vaccine development and molecular food microbiology projects, including lactic acid bacteria and antibiotic resistance of food isolates.
- BAppSc Victoria University
- PhD RMIT
- Member of the Australian Society for Microbiology
- Prasai, T.,Walsh, K.,Bhattarai, S.,Midmore, D.,Van, T.,Moore, R.,Stanley, D. (2017). Zeolite food supplementation reduces abundance of enterobacteria In: Microbiological Research, 195, 24 - 30
- Van, T.,Elshagmani, E.,Gor, M.,Anwar, A.,Scott, P.,Moore, R. (2017). Induction of spotty liver disease in layer hens by infection with Campylobacter hepaticus In: Veterinary Microbiology, 199, 85 - 90
- Huq, M.,Van, T.,Gurtler, V.,Elshagmani, E.,Allemailem, K.,Smooker, P.,Istivan, T. (2017). The ribosomal RNA operon (rrn) of Campylobacter concisus supports molecular typing to genomospecies level In: Gene Reports, 6, 8 - 14
- Van, T.,Gor, M.,Anwar, A.,Scott, P.,Moore, R. (2017). Campylobacter hepaticus, the cause of spotty liver disease in chickens, is present throughout the small intestine and caeca of infected birds In: Veterinary Microbiology, 207, 226 - 230
- Van, T.,Elshagmani, E.,Gor, M.,Scott, P.,Moore, R. (2016). Campylobacter hepaticus sp. nov., isolated from chickens with spotty liver disease In: International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary, 66, 4518 - 4524
- Nguyen, H.,Van, T.,Coloe, P. (2016). Antibiotic resistance associated with aquaculture in Vietnam In: Microbiology Australia, , 108 - 111
- Prasai, T.,Walsh, K.,Bhattarai, S.,Midmore, D.,Van, T.,Moore, R.,Stanley, D. (2016). Biochar, Bentonite and zeolite supplemented feeding of layer chickens alters intestinal microbiota and reduces campylobacter load In: PLoS ONE, 11, 1 - 13
- Taylor, K.,Van, T.,Macdonald, S.,Meshnick, S.,Fernley, R.,Macreadie, I.,Smooker, P. (2015). Immunization of mice with Plasmodium TCTP delays establishment of Plasmodium infection In: Parasite Immunology, 37, 23 - 31
- Golneshin, A.,Adetutu, E.,Ball, A.,May, B.,Van, T.,Smith, A. (2015). Complete genome sequence of lactobacillus plantarum strain B21, a bacteriocin-producing strain isolated from Vietnamese fermented sausage Nem Chua In: Genome Announcements, 3, 1 - 2
- Lin, I.,Van, T.,Smooker, P. (2015). Live-attenuated bacterial vectors: Tools for vaccine and therapeutic agent delivery In: Vaccines, 3, 940 - 972
3 PhD Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions