Molecular biology and food microbiology, especially pertaining to antibiotic resistance and virulence of bacterial pathogens, development of veterinary vaccines against viral and bacterial pathogens.
I was invited to present at the ERHIC II world conference in Nuremberg, Germany, which gathered experts from over 100 countries, in which I was recognised as one of the contributors in the field of antibiotic resistance:
Thi Thu Hao Van, George Moutafis, Taghrid Istivan, Linh Thuoc Tran and Peter J Coloe. Molecular Characterization of Antibiotic Resistance in Selected Enteropathogens Isolated from Raw Food Samples in Vietnam. Ehrlich II – 2nd World Conference on Magic Bullets, October 3-5, 2008.
Currently I am working on a project with Professor Peter Coloe - "Creation of a Salmonella-vectored avian influenza vaccine that protects against bird flu H5N1".
I also supervise research students’ projects on avian virus vaccine development and molecular food microbiology projects, including lactic acid bacteria and antibiotic resistance of food isolates.
- BAppSc Victoria University
- PhD RMIT
- Member of the Australian Society for Microbiology
- Van, T.,Yidana, Z.,Smooker, P.,Coloe, P. (2020). Antibiotic Use in Food Animals in the World with Focus on Africa: Pluses and Minuses In: Journal of Global Antimicrobial Resistance, 20, 170 - 177
- Phung, V.,Vezina, B.,Anwar, A.,Wilson, T.,Scott, P.,Moore, R.,Van, T. (2020). Campylobacter hepaticus, the cause of Spotty Liver Disease in chickens: Transmission and routes of infection In: Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 6, 1 - 8
- Wilkinson, N.,Hughes, R.,Bajagai, Y.,Aspden, W.,Van, T.,Moore, R.,Stanley, D. (2020). Reduced environmental bacterial load during early development and gut colonisation has detrimental health consequences in Japanese quail. In: Heliyon, 6, 1 - 7
- Boath, J.,Dhakal, S.,Van, T.,Moore, R.,Dekiwadia, C.,Macreadie, I. (2020). Polyphasic characterisation of Cedecea colo sp. Nov., a new enteric bacterium isolated from the koala hindgut In: Microorganisms, 8, 1 - 9
- Loughman, A.,Quinn, T.,Nation, M.,Reichelt, A.,Moore, R.,Van, T.,Sung, V.,Tang, M. (2020). Infant microbiota in colic: Predictive associations with problem crying and subsequent child behavior In: Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, , 1 - 11
- TEHRANCHIAN, P.,Adair, R.,Van, T.,Morrison, P.,Williams, H.,Lawrie, A. (2020). Biological Control of the Noxious Weed Angled Onion (Allium triquetrum) Thwarted by Endophytic Bacteria in Victoria, Australia In: Australasian Plant Pathology, 49, 373 - 392
- Haberecht, S.,Bajagai, Y.,Moore, R.,Van, T.,Stanley, D. (2020). Poultry feeds carry diverse microbial communities that influence chicken intestinal microbiota colonisation and maturation In: AMB Express, 10, 1 - 10
- Gor, M.,Golneshin, A.,Van, T.,Moore, R.,Smith, A. (2020). Cloning and functional expression of a food-grade circular bacteriocin, plantacyclin B21AG, in probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1 In: PL o S One, 15, 1 - 19
- Golneshin, A.,Gor, M.,Williamson, N.,Vezina, B.,Van, T.,May, B.,Smith, A. (2020). Discovery and characterisation of circular bacteriocin plantacyclin B21AG from Lactiplantibacillus plantarum B21 In: Heliyon, 6, 1 - 14
- Scheelings, T.,Moore, R.,Van, T.,Klaassen, M.,Reina, R. (2020). The gut bacterial microbiota of sea turtles differs between geographically distinct populations In: Endangered Species Research, 42, 95 - 108
4 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
- Phytobiotic potential for control of Spotty Liver Disease. Funded by: National Feed Solutions Pty Ltd - Competitive from (2019 to 2020)
- Identification of virulence factors that cause liver damage in SLD. Funded by: Australian Eggs Limited - Grant from (2019 to 2021)
- Development of immunological assays to assist the control of Spotty Liver Disease in chickens. Funded by: University of New England - PoultryHub Australia from (2019 to 2021)
- Next generation probiotics to enhance the gut health of chickens. Funded by: 095-AgriFutures Australia (Rural Industries R&D Corporation Open Call Research and Development Projects) 2017 from (2018 to 2021)
- Assessment of the use of a natural antibacterial product for reducing harmful bacterial colonisation of chickens; impact on food safety. Funded by: Competitive - Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources from (2018 to 2019)