Dr Wim Verhagen
Dr Wim Verhagen is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Engineering, teaching and researching in aircraft maintenance, with a particular focus on predictive maintenance and decision support.
Dr Verhagen is an academic within the Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Discipline in the School of Engineering. He is responsible for teaching in aircraft maintenance, including theoretical and practical approaches towards prediction, planning, execution and control of maintenance.
Dr Verhagen's research covers predictive maintenance and decision support. With respect to predictive maintenance, Dr Verhagen's research efforts focus on the development, implementation and validation of data-driven and hybrid diagnostic and prognostic models for aircraft systems. With respect to decision support, his research covers a comprehensive and integrated set of models to streamline and optimize maintenance planning, execution and control on operational and tactical time horizons.
Dr Verhagen has worked extensively with industry and in collaborative research projects, as part of his former assistant professorship at his alma mater TU Delft and currently as part of RMIT. Highlights include being TUD's principal investigator on the Clean Sky 2 AIRMES project and project co-coordinator and co-PI on the 5.6 million euro H2020 ReMAP. Dr Verhagen is responsible for the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate research students, and has over 60 publications that can be found at Web of Science, Scopus, Google Scholar and ResearchGate. His ORCID ID is https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7593-9109.
- PhD (Aerospace Engineering), TU Delft, 2013
- MSc (Aerospace Engineering, cum laude), TU Delft, 2008
- BSc (Aerospace Engineering), TU Delft, 2006
- Clean Sky 2 AIRMES / ADVANCE consortium (including TAP Portugal (coordinator), Airbus, Thales, Meggitt, Honeywell, DLR, a.o.)
- Horizon 2020 ReMAP consortium (including KLM, UTRCI, Embraer, ATOS, ONERA, a.o.)
- National industry collaborations within The Netherlands, including NLR, RNLAF, KLM E&M, Fokker Services, a.o.
- International industry collaborations, including Cargolux, Qantas, Kenya Airways, NASA, a.o.
- Heiets, I.,Yeun, R.,Verhagen, W.,La, J. (2022). Analysis of Bilateral Air Services Agreement Liberalization in Australia In: Aerospace, 9, 1 - 21
- Scott, M.,Verhagen, W.,Bieber, M.,Marzocca, P. (2022). A Systematic Literature Review of Predictive Maintenance for Defence Fixed-Wing Aircraft Sustainment and Operations In: Sensors, 22, 1 - 31
- Bieber, M.,Verhagen, W.,Santos, B. (2022). The Impact of Metrics on the Choice of Prognostic Methodologies In: AIAA AVIATION 2022 Forum, Chicago, IL, USA, 27 June - 1 July 2022
- Deng, Q.,Santos, B.,Verhagen, W. (2021). A novel decision support system for optimizing aircraft maintenance check schedule and task allocation In: Decision Support Systems, 146, 1 - 16
- Koornneef, H.,Verhagen, W.,Curran, R. (2021). A web-based decision support system for aircraft dispatch and maintenance In: Aerospace, 8, 1 - 19
- Bieber, M.,Verhagen, W.,Santos, B. (2021). An Adaptive Framework For Remaining Useful Life Predictions Of Aircraft Systems In: Proceedings of the 6th European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Virtual, 28 June-2 July 2021
- Freeman, F.,van Kessel, P.,Verhagen, W. (2021). Age and Condition-Based Preventive Replacement Timing for Periodic Aircraft Maintenance Checks In: Proceedings of the 6th European Conference of the Prognostics and Health Management Society, Virtual, 28 June-2 July 2021
- Borst, N.,Verhagen, W. (2021). Improving remaining useful life prediction of complex systems through CNN-LSTM network adaptations In: Proceedings of the 19th Australian International Aerospace Congress (AIAC 2021), Online, 29 November - 1 December 2021
- Gulrez, T.,Kekoc, V.,Verhagen, W.,Ong, J.,Williams, D.,Marzocca, P.,Mills, T. (2021). A physical load metric development for assessment of mixed reality in aircraft inspection tasks In: Proceedings of the19th Australian International Aerospace Congress (AIAC 2021), Melbourne, 29 November - 1 December 2021
- Bieber, M.,Verhagen, W.,Santos, B. (2021). Data-Driven Prognostics Incorporating Environmental Factors for Aircraft Maintenance In: 2021 Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium (RAMS), Florida, United States of America, 24/05/2021 - 27/05/2021
1 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions
- Aircraft Structural Prognostics and Health Management for Australian Defence Force Sustainment (PhD student: Michael Scott). Funded by: Defence Science Institute Research Higher Degree Student Grant 2017 from (2022 to 2025)