Dr Julian Waters-Lynch
Lecturer in innovation, entrepreneurship and organisational design in the School of Management
My research explores the economic and social effects of emerging technology, and how these changes impact entrepreneurship, organisational design and the changing character of work. My PhD examined these questions through an ethnography of the pioneering Coworking communities in Melbourne. I am currently affiliated with the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Priority Area, Centre for Digital Ethnography, Blockchain Innovation Hub and Centre for Urban Research.
I also work as a Strategic Designer, specialising in user experience research, innovation project management and organisational design. I lead projects and teams that solve complex problems spanning product, service and organisational design challenges. As a consultant, I have worked with corporates, governments, non-profits and startups, with clients such as Telstra, NAB, ANZ, PwC, Australia Unity, RMIT University, University of Melbourne, Australian Red Cross, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Employment, City of Melbourne, General Assembly, Culture Amp, Hub Australia and Startup Victoria.
I have also co-founded two enterprises, The Facilitation Starter, specialising in workshop facilitation, design thinking and codesign methodologies and TypeHuman, specialising in the application of blockchains and emerging Web3 technology. I draw upon both the research I lead and this practical experience in teaching Driving Innovation in Organisations, where students learn through working with real world organisations to identify opportunities for innovation and test new ideas.
Please feel free to contact me to discuss research projects, working with my students, public presentations or other advisory projects.
- Glover, A.,Lewis, T.,Waters-Lynch, J. (2022). E-change and remote work in Australia In: Australian Communications Consumer Action Network Australia
- Maddox, A.,Flore, J.,Markham, A.,Lewis, T.,Denham, T.,Ilyushina, N.,MacDonald, T.,Waters-Lynch, J.,Holcombe-James, I.,Bailey (Nabben), K. (2022). Are people ready for a Digital CBD? The new infrastructure demands In: Victorian Higher Education State Investment Fund Melbourne, Australia
- Waters-Lynch, J.,Duff, C. (2021). The affective commons of Coworking In: Human Relations, 74, 383 - 404
- Waters-Lynch, J.,Duff, C. (2021). Coworking’s Cooperation Paradox: On the Role of Stigmergic Curation In: The Flexible Workplace, Springer, Rotterdam
- Waters Lynch, J.,Potts, J. (2017). The social economy of coworking spaces: A focal point model of coordination In: Review of Social Economy, 75, 417 - 433
- E-Change and Remote Work in Australia. Funded by: Australian Communications Consumer Action Network (ACCAN) Grants Scheme 2016 onwards from (2020 to 2022)
3 PhD Current Supervisions