Dr Tony Zhang is the Program Manager for the Chinese medicine programs in the School of Health Sciences. His areas of teaching and research are evidence based Chinese medicine clinical research, clinical epidemiology, systematic review and research methodologies.
Evidence-based public health research; Epidemiological studies; Randomised controlled trial; Systematic review and meta-analysis; Clinical epidemiology; Biostatistics and Research methods.
- Completion: five PhD, one Master and one BHSci (Hons),
- Current: seven PhD, four Masters and consultant for a number of research projects.
Research funding sources
- The effect of a standardised ginseng extract in patients with moderate COPD: a randomised, double blind trial (NHMRC, 2010-2012, $560,375, Chief Investigator)
- Herbal medicine use by Victorians (Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Services, State Government of Victoria, 2006-2011, $208,000, Chief Investigator)
- International Research Network of Traditional and Complementary Medicine (Guangdong Provincial Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, 2008-2011, $500,000, Chief Investigator)
- The efficacy and safety of acupuncture for seasonal allergic rhinitis: a prospective, randomised controlled trial (NHMRC, 2009-2011, $169,725, Associate Investigator)
- Efficacy and safety of a standardised ginseng extract for patients with moderate COPD (National Institute of Complementary Medicine Research Grant. 2009-2011. $33,000 Chief Investigator).
- Acupuncture for acute pain management at a hospital emergency department. (Department of Human Services, State Government of Victoria. 2008-2009. $48,000 Chief Investigator).
- Health Innovations Research Institute Research Grant, RMIT University.
- School of Health Sciences Research Strength Fund, RMIT University.
- Faculty Research Grant, Deakin University.
- Australian Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine Association Research Grant.
- Various industry and professional association support.
- RMIT Teaching Award in Innovation in Curricula, Learning and Teaching (Program Award), Nov 2012
- Research Excellence Award (in the category of Emerging Researcher), National Institute of Complementary Medicine (NICM), Australia, 2009
- ECR International Travel Award, Research and Innovation, RMIT University, Nov 2011
- Higher Degree Research Coordinator: MR015 and DR088
- Program Coordinator: BH062 Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) program
- Course Coordinator: Introduction to Clinical Practice (COTH2123), Research Thesis 1 (COTH2146) and Research Thesis 2 (COTH2147), Professional Issues and Project (UG: COTH2130 and PG: COTH2131)
- Deliver lectures in: Evidence-Based Public Health Practice, Epidemiology, Systematic Review, Research Method, Complementary and Alternative Medicine and Chinese Medicine and Business Management.
- Chair, Executive Committee, Discipline of Chinese Medicine, RMIT
- Chair, Staff and Student Consultation Committee, Discipline of Chinese Medicine, RMIT
- Member, Human Research Ethics Committee , RMIT University
- Member, Executive Committee, School of Health Sciences, RMIT
- Member, Research Committee, School of Health Sciences, RMIT
- Member, Higher Degree Research Committee, School of Health Sciences, RMIT.
- PhD, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Master of Public Health (MPH), University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
- Bachelor of Medicine (BMed), Guangxi Traditional Medical University, P.R. China
- Registered Chinese Medicine Practitioner, Chinese Medicine Board of Australia (CMBA)
- Member, Australasian Epidemiological Association (AEA)
- Member, Public Health Association of Australia (PHAA)
- Key Collaborator, Network of Researchers in the Public Health of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NORPHCAM).
- Research Coordinator, International Research Network for Traditional and Complementary Medicine (IRN-TCM) – International research collaboration with the Guangdong Provincial Hospital of Chinese Medicine, China
Editorial and review
- External Reviewer, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC Project Grant)
- Thesis Reviewer, Doctor of Philosophy (Medicine), Deakin University
- External Examiner, Bachelor of Science (Hons) Chinese Medicine Program, International Medical University, Malaysia
- Editorial Board Member, BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (IF=2. 24)
- Editorial Board Member, American Journal of Chinese Medicine (Am J CM) (IF=1.979)
- Editor, Journal of Chinese Medicine Research and Development (JCMRD)
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Advance in Medical Science (AMS)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine (JTCM)
Reviewer for peer-reviewed journals
- American Journal of Public Health (IF=3.926)
- American Journal of Chinese Medicine (Am J CM) (IF=1.979)
- BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (IF=2.241)
- British Journal of Cancer (IF=5.042)
- Chinese Medicine (BMC)
- Cochrane Database Systematic Review (IF=5.715)
- Complementary Therapies in Medicine (IF=1.872)
- Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (IF=4.774)
- Health and Quality of Life Outcomes (IF=2.112)
- Health Sociology Review (IF=0.493)
- ISRN Family Medicine
- Medical Care (An official journal of the American Public Health Association) (IF=3.411)
- Pharmacoepidemiology & Drug Safety (IF=2.528)
- Plant Foods for Human Nutrition (IF=2.505)
- Statistics in Medicine (IF=1.877)
- The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (JACM) (IF=1.585)
- The Australian Journal of Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine (AJACM)
- The Journal of Complementary & Integrative Medicine (JCIM)
- The Journal of Chinese Medicine Research and Development (JCMRD)
Contribution to scientific conferences
- Invited Speaker and Session Chair, International acupuncture conference (ISAMS 2012), Sydney, Oct 2012. (100% funded by organiser).
- Invited Speaker and Session Chair, The 3rd Global University Network of Transitional Medicine, TaiChung, Taiwan, Dec 2011. (100% funded by organiser).
- Organising committee (academic panel) member of the 6th World Congress on Chinese Medicine, Melbourne (2009)
- Panel Chair for the session on Clinical Research of Integrative Medicine at The 3rd World Integrative Medicine Congress, China (2007)
- Invited keynote speaker in the China-Australia Chinese Medicine Forum, Melbourne (2008)
- Invited Speaker, The 3rd Global University Network of Transitional Medicine, Taiwan, Dec 2011
- Speaker at international conferences: The 5th International Congress on Complementary Medicine Research (2010The 5th Symposium on Acupuncture and Meridian Studies (2009 The 3rd World Integrative Medicine Congress (2007 International Epidemiological Association Western Pacific Region Scientific Meeting (2007 The 3rd International Conference on Healthy Ageing and Longevity (2006The 1st World Congress in Chinese Medicine (2003).
- Member of the Sciences, Engineering and Technology (SET) College Board (2005–06), Acting HDR Coordinator for the School of Health Sciences (2007–08), Member of the SET College Higher Degree Research Committee (2007–08), Board Member (and Company Secretary) of the Australian Research Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicines (ARCCAM) Ltd (2009-2010), Secretary of Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute at RMIT University (2010).
- Doyle, K.,Zhang, A. (2017). Smoking prevalence and attributable disease burden in 195 countries and territories, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 In: Lancet, 389, 1885 - 1906
- Yu, J.,Zhang, S.,Coyle, M.,Du, Y.,Zhang, A.,Guo, X.,Xue, C.,Lu, C. (2017). Compound glycyrrhizin plus conventional therapy for psoriasis vulgaris: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials In: Current Medical Research and Opinion, 33, 279 - 287
- Wang, K.,Coyle, M.,Mansu, S.,Zhang, A.,Xue, C. (2017). Gentiana scabra Bunge. Formula for herpes zoster: biological actions of key herbs and systematic review of efficacy and safety In: Phytotherapy Research, 31, 375 - 386
- Coyle, M.,Liang, H.,Wang, K.,Zhang, A.,Guo, X.,Lu, C.,Xue, C. (2017). (In Press) Acupuncture plus moxibustion for herpes zoster: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials In: Dermatologic Therapy, , 1 - 8
- Coyle, M.,Yu, J.,Di, Y.,Zhang, C.,Zhang, A.,Xue, C.,Yang, L.,Guo, X.,Lu, C. (2017). Evidence-based Clinical Chinese Medicine Volume 3: Chronic Urticaria, World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore
- Hyde, A.,May, B.,Xue, C.,Zhang, A. (2017). Variation in placebo effect sizes in clinical trials of oral interventions for management of the behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD): a systematic review and meta-analysis In: The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 25, 9947 - 1008
- Smith, C.,Zaslawski, C.,Cochrane, S.,Zhu, X.,Zheng, Z.,Loyeung, B.,Meier, P.,Walsh, S.,Xue, C.,Zhang, A.,Fahey, P.,Bensoussan, A. (2017). Reliability of the NICMAN scale: An instrument to assess the quality of acupuncture administered in clinical trials In: Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2017, 1 - 8
- Liang, H.,Coyle, M.,Wang, K.,Zhang, A.,Guo, X.,Li, H.,Xue, C.,Lu, C. (2017). Oral Chinese herbal medicine for post-herpetic neuralgia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials In: European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 10, 46 - 56
- Shergis, J.,Ni, X.,Sarris, J.,Zhang, A.,Guo, X.,Xue, C.,Lu, C.,Hugel, H. (2017). Ziziphus spinosa seeds for insomnia: A review of chemistry and psychopharmacology In: Phytomedicine, 34, 38 - 43
- Moradi-Lakeh, M.,El Bcheraoui, E.,Khalil, I.,Doyle, K.,Lin Zhang, A. et al, . (2017). (In Press) Diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney disease in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: findings from the Global Burden of Disease 2015 study In: International Journal of Public Health, , 1 - 10
- Culture aspects in the Development of evidence-based Chinese Medicine - Stage 6. Funded by: Confucius Institute Headquarters Business Development Program Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2018)
- Cultural Aspects in the Development of Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine - Stage 5. Funded by: Confucius Institute Headquarters Business Development Program Grant pre-2014 from (2015 to 2018)
- Cultural Aspects in the Development of Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine - Stage 4. Funded by: Confucius Institute Headquarters Business Development Program Grant pre-2014 from (2014 to 2014)
- Cultural Aspects in the Development of Evidence-Based Chinese Medicine - Stage 3. Funded by: Confucius Institute Headquarters Business Development Program Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2013)
- Cultural aspects in the development of evidence-based Chinese medicine - Stage 2. Funded by: Confucius Institute Headquarters Business Development Program Grant pre-2014 from (2012 to 2012)
12 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions9 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions