College / Portfolio:
College of Design and Social Context
School / Department:
School of Global, Urban and Social Studies
Teaching and work responsibilities
- Aid, Adjustment and Development
- Contemporary Africa
- International NGOs, Civil Society and Development
- International Project Planning and Design
- International Project Management and Evaluation
Urban Poverty and Non-Governmental Development Organisations' (NGDOs') Intervention Mechanisms in Malawi. Funded by RMIT Emerging Researchers Grant.
- Aid effectiveness
- Poverty alleviation/eradication in developing countries
- Post-conflict development and peace building
- Community development and capacity building
- Comparative Indigenous studies
- Peace and Development Education in Fragile States/Democracies
- 2010 Teaching and Research Awards: Teaching Excellence in Higher Education Social Sciences (Including Education), for Fostering Innovation in Curricula, Learning, Teaching and Linking International Development Studies Theory into Practice
- 2007 Carrick Citations for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning
- 2006 Vice Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence
- 2006 Vice Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence - Indigenous Teacher of the Year
- 1999 International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) and University of New England Research Scholarship (UNERS)
- 1995 University of Nottingham Alumni Scholarship and British Council Scholarship
- 1992 World Bank Scholarship
Dip.Ed. Malw; B.Ed (Hons), M.Phil. Nottingham; PhD New England
- August 2008, "Urban Poverty and Non-Governmental Development Organisations' (NGDOs') Intervention Mechanisms in Malawi". Emerging Researchers Grant, RMIT.
- November 2006, Peace Education in “Fragile” and “Emergency” States: Charting Best Practices and the Role of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) in Malawi. Central Queensland University.
- February 2006, Pedagogies of Maths Destruction: An analysis of Learning Advisers’ (Tutors’) Approaches to the Tutoring of Mathematics among Indigenous Students in the Tertiary Entry Program (TEP) in Nulloo Yumbah. Division of Teaching and Learning Services, Central Queensland University
- April, 2003, Aid Partnerships between Donor Agencies and Non-Governmental Organisations in Peace Building in Bougainville. Internal Research Grant (IRG). University of New England.
- March, 2003, Emerging Scholar Award. Association for Research on Non-profit Organisations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA).
- 2011, A Consultant and Evaluation Team Leader for World Vision Australia-sponsored Project on “Lake Chilwa Child Protection Project” implemented by World Vision Malawi.
- 2011, Consultant for International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) Malawi to lead in the Production of a Case Study Chapter on Rural-Urban Transformation in Malawi.
- 2010, Consultant for Christian Blind Mission (CBM) Australia’s Desk Review of Current Research and Research Gaps on Disability-Inclusive Development in Asia and Pacific.
- 2009, A Consultant and Evaluation Team Leader for World Vision Australia-sponsored Project on “Tigwirizane Posamalirana” (Comprehensive Care, Support and Treatment for People Living with HIV and AIDS) Project in World Vision Malawi.
- 2006, Consultant for AusAID’s sponsored independent review on “Peace building Through Health”, aimed to evaluate the extent to which The Health and Peace building Filter; Companion Manual; Case Studies Paper; and Learning Module are appropriate as Peace building instruments in the Health Sector.
- 1997, Commissioned by Malawi Population Education Project to conduct a study on “The Influence of Socio-Cultural Beliefs and Practices on Population Education among Primary, Secondary and Teacher Education Students in Malawi”.
- 1997, Commissioned by the British Council and Danish International and Development Agency (DANIDA) to conduct an evaluation of the extent to which Distance Education Centres converted to Day Secondary schools are functioning and meeting project’s objectives.
- 1995, Consultant on a UNICEF-funded research on problems associated with Free Primary Education in Malawi.
- 1995, Commissioned by Malawi Education for All (MEFA) and GTZ, to examine “Reasons for Drop Out in the Free Primary Education (FPE) in Malawi”.