College / Portfolio:
College of Science, Engineering and Health
School / Department:
School of Science
Contact me about:
- Coordination of Optics Laboratories
- Program leader for undergraduate and Honours Applied Physics degrees
Application of optical techniques to measurement and sensing applications, including
- Speckle Correlation and Interferometry
- Fourier Optics
- Digital Image Processing
- Optical Design
- Laser Applications
- Digital speckle pattern interferometry:
- Laser illumination, video camera recording and digital image capture and processing are used to measure very small displacements, distortions and vibrations of objects.
- Applications to non-destructive testing of structures and materials are studied.
- Optical characterisation of surfaces and thin films:
- The reflecting properties of materials are measured to give information on their composition and structure.
- The techniques of reflectance spectroscopy and spectroscopic ellipsometry are used.
- PhD ( Adelaide ), B Sc Hons ( Adelaide )
- Dean’s Award 2000 in Teaching and Learning, RMIT Faculty of Applied Science, October 2000
- Advice and custom measurement service provided to local industries in the areas mentioned under Research interests in Key Activities above.
- R. Feiel and P. Wilksch, High-resolution laser speckle correlation for displacement and strain measurement, Applied Optics 39, 54-60 (2000)
- R.A. O’Sullivan, K.W. McGregor, S. Cianci, R. Sacca, P.A. Wilksch and J.F. Scott, Temperature profile during spontaneous aperiodic optical bistability oscillations in lead magnesium niobate, Japan Journal of Applied Physics 35, 5203-5209 (1996)
- P.A. Wilksch, The instrument function of the Fabry-Perot spectrometer, Applied Optics 24, 1502 - 1511 (1985)
- P.A. Wilksch and R. Feiel, High resolution laser speckle correlation for displacement and strain measurement, 12th Conference of the Australian Optical Society, University of Sydney, 7-9 July, 1999
- H. Sakulin, P.A. Wilksch and T. Neger, Hochpräzise Echtzeit-Dehnungsmessung mittels digitaler Speckle-Interferometrie unter Einsatz eines Phasenschiebeverfahrens. 18th Conference of DVM (German Association for Materials Research and Testing) working group “Micro- and Nanoprobe Techniques” on Component Failures caused by Microdefects, BMW Munich, 24-25 November, 1998
- P.A. Wilksch and H. Sakulin, Real-time high-precision measurement of strain with a digital phase-stepping speckle interferometer, Eleventh Australian Optical Society Conference, University of Adelaide, 10-12 December, 1997
- P.A. Wilksch and G.F. Stroot, Digital phase-stepping speckle interferometer for sensitive measurement of in-plane displacement, Book of Abstracts, 10th Conference of the Australian Optical Society, ed. W.R. MacGillivray, p. 96, Australian Optical Society, University of Queensland, Brisbane, 5-7 July, 1995
- P.A. Wilksch and D. Andiani, Influence of size of aperture on digital speckle interferometry, 6th APPC/11th AIP Congress (BrisPhys), Brisbane, July, 1994
- P.A. Wilksch, Computer-generated Fresnel holograms, Australian Conference on Optics, Lasers and Spectroscopy (ACOLS '93), University of Melbourne, December, 1993
- D. Andiani and P.A. Wilksch, Digital speckle pattern interferometry with large aperture, Eighth Conference of the Australian Optical Society, University of Sydney, February, 1993