- PhD 1985, Biomedical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia
- Meng 1982, Biomedical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia
- Beng 1976, Electrical Engineering, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia
- 2007 - present Deputy Pro Vice chancellor Science Engineering and Health, RMIT University
- 2008 - 2009 Interim Director, RMIT Health Innovations Research Institute, RMIT University
- 2002 - 2007, Head and Professor, RMIT University, School of Electrical & Computer Engineering
- 1997 - 2002, Associate Professor, Monash University, Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering
- 1994 - 1097, Senior Lecturer, Monash University, Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering
- 1993 - 1994, Lecturer, Monash University, Electrical & Computer Systems Engineering
- 1989 - 1993, Research Fellow, Monash University, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Affiliations and Professional memberships
- Fellow of IEAust
- Senior Member of the IEEE EMBS
- Member of the International Society for Bioelectromagnetism
- Member of the Australian College of Physical Scientists and Engineers in Medicine
- Co-Chair of the Victorian section of the IEEE EMBS
- Member of New York Academy of Science
- Telstra (Australia)
- IMMedical Pty Ltd.
- EME Australia Pty Ltd (Australia)
- MEDEC Pty Ltd (Germany/Australia)
- Fairfield Hospital Melbourne (Australia)
- Dynal A.S. Norway
- KTH Sweden
Areas of research and consulting expertise
- Molecular bioelectronics
- Molecular modeling
- Protein engineering
- Biomedical engineering
- Biomedical instrumentation
- Signal processing
- EEG and ECG
- Hearn M.T.W., Biquard J.M, Cosic I.,. Krsmanovic V., 2001, Peptides Immunologically related to proteins expressed by a viral agent, having a sequence of amino acids ordered by means of protein informational method, US Patent 6, 294, 174.
- Krsmanovic V., Cosic I., Biquard J.M, Hearn M.T.W., 1993, Artificial Peptides and Induced Antibodies, International Patent WO 93/17108 owned by Monash University and CNRS France.
Irena chaired the 2nd International Conference on Bio-electromagnetism in 1998. She also chaired a number of track and session at the Annual IEEE EMBS conferences and been an invited speaker at a number of international conferences.
Irena has been serving as a referee for a number of international journals including International Journal of Theoretical Biology, Protein Engineering and APSM and is involved in the initiation of the new IEEE Transaction on Tissue Cellular and Molecular Engineering Journal.
- Pirogova, E. Akay, M. and Cosic, I. 2009, 'Investigating the interaction between oncogene and tumor suppressor protein', in IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Ieee-Inst Electrical Electronics Engineers Inc, Piscataway, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 10-15 ISSN: 1089-7771
- Iskra, S. McKenzie, R. and Cosic, I. 2010, 'Factors influencing uncertainty in measurement of electric fields close to the body in personal RF dosimetry', in Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Oxford University Press, United Kingdom, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 25-33 ISSN: 0144-8420
- Pirogova, E. Vojisavljevic, V. Caceres, J. and Cosic, I. 2010, 'Ataxin active site determination using spectral distribution of electron ion interaction potentials of amino acids', in Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Springer, Germany, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 303-309 ISSN: 0140-0118
- Pirogova, E. Istivan, T. Gan, E. and Cosic, I. 2010, '"In Press" Advances in methods for therapeutic peptide discovery, design and development', in Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Bentham Science Publishers Ltd., Netherlands ISSN: 1389-2010
- Vojisavljevic, V. Pirogova, E. Davidovic, D. and Cosic, I. 2010, 'Hybrid approach to analysis of ß-sheet structures based on signal processing and statistical consideration', in Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Royal Society Publishing, London, UK, vol. online, pp. 1-21 ISSN: 0950-1207
- Iskra, S. McKenzie, R. and Cosic, I. 2009, 'Absorption in human body at 900MHz for oblique incidence of plane wave', in Electronics Letters, The Institution of Engineering and Technology, United Kingdom, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 602-604 ISSN: 0013-5194
- E. Pirogova, M. Akay, I. Cosic , (2008) “Investigating the interaction between Oncogene and Tumor Suppressor Protein”, IEEE Trans. on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol.12, Issue, 5, 10.1109/TITB.2008.2003338.
- V. Vojisavljevic, E. Pirogova, I. Cosic , (2007) “The effect of Electromagnetic Radiation (550nm-850nm) on l-Lactate Dehydrogenase Kinetics”, Int. Jour. Radiation Biology, 83(4), 221-230.
- Cosic , E. Pirogova, (2007) “Bioactive Peptide Design using the Resonant Recognition Model”, Nonlinear Biomedical Physics, 1(7), doi: 10.1186/1753-4631-1-7.
- . Pirogova, E., Cosic , I., Akay, M. (2007) “Computational analysis of interactions between tumour and tumour suppressor proteins”, Genomics and Proteomics Engineering in Medicine and Biology, edited by M. Akay and co-published by the IEEE press and John Wiley & Sons, Inc. pp. 257-287.
- E. Pirogova, V. Vojisavljevic, Q. Fang, I. Cosic , (2006) “Computational analysis of DNA photolyases using digital signal processing methods”, Molecular Simulation, 32(14), pp. 1195–1203
- Cosic I., (2001), “The Resonant Recognition Model of Bio-molecular Interactions: possibility of electromagnetic resonance”, Polish Journal of Medical Physics and Engineering, vol. 7. No.1, 73-87
- Cosic I., (1994) Macromolecular Bioactivity: Is it Resonant Interaction between Macromolecules? - Theory and Applications, IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, 41, 1101-1114.
- Cosic I., Drummond A.E., Underwood J.R., Hearn M.T.W., 1994, A New Approach to Growth Factor Analogue Design: Modelling of FGF Analogues, Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 130, 1-9.
- Cosic I., (1995) Virtual Spectroscopy for Fun and Profit, Biotechnology, 13, 236-238.
- Cosic I., (1997) The Resonant Recognition Model of Macromolecular Bioactivity: Theory and Applications, Birkhauser Verlag, Basel, Switzerland.
- Ciblis P., Cosic I., (1997) The Possibility of Soliton/Exciton Transfer in Proteins, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 184, 331-338.
- De Trad C. H., Fang Q., Cosic I., (2000), "The Resonant Recognition Model (RRM) Predicts Amino Acid Residues in Highly Conservative Regions of the Hormone Prolactin (PRL)", Biophysical Chemistry, 84/2, 149-157.
- Pirogova, E., Fang, Q., Akay, M., Cosic , I., (2002) “Investigation of the structure and function relationships of Oncogene proteins”, Proceeding of the IEEE, Vol. 90, Issue 12, pp. 1859-1867.
- De Trad C. H., Fang Q., Cosic I., (2002), “Protein sequences comparison based on the wavelet transform approach”, Protein Engineering, Vol.15, no.3, pp 193-203.
- Pirogova, E., Simon, G.P., Cosic , I., (2003) "Investigation of the applicability of Dielectric Relaxation properties of amino acid solutions within the Resonant Recognition Model”, IEEE Transactions on NanoBioscience, Vol.2, Issue 2, pp.63-69.
- D’Costa, G. Trueman, L. Tang, U. Abdel-rahman, W. Abdel-rahman, K. Ong, I. Cosic , (2003), “Human brain wave activity during exposure to radiofrequency field emissions from mobile phones”, Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine (APESM), 26, pp.
- D. Cvetkovic, R. Powers, I. Cosic , “Preliminary Evaluation of EEG Entrainment Using Thalamocortical Modeling”, Expert System: The Journal of Knowledge Engineering (Special Issue – Advances in Medical Decision Support Systems), 2008.
- D. Cvetkovic, Q. Fang, I. Cosic , “Multiple Human Electrophysiological Responses to Extremely Low Frequency Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Exposures: A Pilot Study”, Estonian Journal of Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 2, 2008, pp. 138-153. doi: 10.3176/eng.2008.2.04.
- D. Cvetkovic, I. Cosic , A. Subic, “Improved Performance of the Electromagnetic Fuel Injector Solenoid Actuator Using a Modelling Approach”, International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics Mechanics, Vol. 27, No. 4, 2008, pp. 251-273.
- N. Perentos, S. Iskra, R. J. McKenzie and I. Cosic , (2008) “Simulation of pulsed ELF magnetic fields generated by GSM mobile phone handsets for human electromagnetic bioeffects research”, Australasian Physical & Engineering Sciences in Medicine Volume 31 Number 3, 235-242.
- D. Cvetkovic, E.D. Ubeyli, and I. Cosic , (2007) “Wavelet transform feature extraction from human PPG, ECG and EEG signal responses to ELF PEMF exposures: A pilot study”, Digital Signal Processing, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2007.05.009.
- D. Cvetkovic, I. Cosic , (2006) “Automated ELF Magnetic Field Stimulation of the Human EEG Activity”, Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering, 13(4), pp. 313-328.
- K. Kalantar-zadeh, W. Wlodarski, V. Vojisavljevic, E. Pirogova, I. Cosic , S. Kandasamy, (2006) “Study of a ZnO/36º LiTaO3 SAW Biosensor with Gold Sensitive Layer”, Rare Metal Materials and Engineering, Vol. 35, suppl.3, 327-329.
- Australian Centre for Radiofrequency Bioeffects Research (ACRBR), NHMRC Centre of Research Excellence
- Cosic , I., Anderson, V., Influence of mobile phone radio emissions on nervous function of the human brain and heart, ARC-Linkage Project 2003
- Cosic , I., Examination of resonant characteristics of Chymotrypsin, Engineering Faculty Grant Scheme
- Cosic , I., Zachariou, M., Pirogova, E., Evaluation of the RRM model using dehydrogenase protein as example, CSIRO Molecular Science Grant