Dr Wils works in the Study and Learning Centre as a Language and Learning Skills Advisor and he also supervises students in the Master of Communication program.He has also published a number of journal articles and book chapters in the area of media and cinema studies. In 2017 a book collection of essays he co-edited on film festivals and spectatorship was published by Intellect.
- Doctor of Philosophy PhD (Film/Cinema/Video Studies) La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2014
- Bachelor of Communication and Professional Writing (First Class Honours), University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia, 2003
- July 2011–Oct 2016 Sessional Course Coordinator, Lecturer and Tutor, School of Media and Communication, RMIT University.
- July 2015–Jan 2017 Sessional Course Coordinator, Lecturer and Tutor, Professional Communication, Singapore Institute of Management.
- Feb 2008–Oct 2012 Sessional Lecturer and Tutor, Department of Communications and Media, La Trobe University.
- Feb 2004–Oct 2006 Sessional Lecturer and Tutor, School of Communication, International Studies and Languages, University of South Australia.
Administrative and educational responsibilities
- Nov 2015–March 2016 Author and Producer, Audio Visual Essay, Educational tool, 1st year students, Introduction to Cinema Studies, RMIT University.
- July 2015–Feb 2016 Performance Auditor, Masters of Communication, RMIT University.
- July-Oct 2015 Workshop Leader, Higher Degree Research Students Support Group, School of Media and Communication, RMIT University.
- Feb-April 2011 Workshop Leader, Academic Skills Workshops, Academic Language and Learning Unit, La Trobe University.
- Feb 2008–Feb 2009 Research Assistant, Media: Screen + Sound, La Trobe University.
- June 2007–Feb 2008 Research Assistant, Department of Creative Arts and English, La Trobe University
- Feb 2004–Oct 2007 Project Officer and Research Assistant, The David Unaipon College of Indigenous Education & Research, University of South Australia.
Academic and community service
- July 2017 Panellist, The Place of the Film Festival within Contemporary Screen Studies, School of Media and Communication RMIT University.
- May 2017 Reviewer, Studies in Documentary Film (Journal).
- April 2017 Lecturer, Audiences, Activism and Political Film Festivals, Melbourne Free University.
- April 2017 Panellist, Film Industry Forum: Cinema and Social Impact, Human Rights Arts and Film Festival.
- April 2012 Speaker and Curator, Schools and Communities Program, Human Rights Arts and Film Festival, Melbourne.
- Oct 2010–May 2012 Features Film Programmer, Human Rights Arts and Film Festival, Melbourne.
- March 2011–Feb 2012 Convener, Course Coordinator and Lecturer, Melbourne Free University, Melbourne.