What's it like in the depths of the RMIT Archives?
There'd always been a history of collecting at RMIT and obviously, the Working Men's College, but there really hadn't been a
In 2009, this facility was created over at Bundoora West. It's hard to believe that
It's state-of-the-art with climate control. We have fire prevention systems.
Even just in the pods where the records are actually
We work closely with security and property services to make sure that the facility stays secure and is well maintained.
Having people connect with the collection, that's really one of the exciting things about our jobs as
We work closely with researchers, both internal and external, to actually use the collection.
We also work closely with our RMIT staff in their jobs.
Definition of a record is a bit difficult to answer.
I always think of it as just evidence of a story, but a good record is authentic, it's reliable, and it's usable. It's something that you can access and make sense of. It's trustworthy.
That's really part of our job, along with the Information Management Team, to make sure that staff are creating those good records and if need be, they get archived.
One of the services that we offer to staff is to help with the appraisal and the disposal of records.
Basically, the what to keep and what to throw out? It can be complicated. There are standards that we have to comply with, but that's our job to make it as simple and as easy as possible.
The best way to get in contact with us if you have records that you're not sure what to do with is by email. We're at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.