Hundreds of staff and students have contributed to a large-scale art project symbolising respect for women at RMIT.
I hope that people that participated in the project walk past and feel a sense of belonging and a sense of connection to the project about respecting women. And also, when they see the figure of the woman after making their hand drawing or artwork, seeing it up there, part of, you know, another almost a thousand hands up on the wall forming this really strong empowered image of a woman. Then yeah, they'll feel proud.
The inspiration of this project was to acknowledge the culture of respect from campus and past RMIT campus. It's about acknowledging where we've come from, where we want to be and really taking active steps to be that change, to be a better human. And to create that culture of respect and belonging together as a community.
I first got the idea for the artwork and saw hands. Because hands are such a rich symbol. Traditionally, a symbol of support, connection, solidarity. So, when I started thinking about hands as a symbol, I saw many of them. And then, I thought it would be great to have people draw around their own hand and be able to contribute them and put them all together. So, it would be an image of like hundreds and hundreds of hands all in support.
The creative sort of stories that we've heard throughout the project has been really heart-warming. Through people creating connections of each other by creating their handprints, by literally leaving their mark and collaborating into the mural project. It's kind of dissolved those lines where it's not a you thing, it's not a me thing, it's an us thing. And that's been a really important beating heart of the project.
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.