Vice-Chancellor Martin Bean shares results from the 2019 Staff Survey.
VISUAL: RMIT Vice-Chancellor and President, Martin Bean addresses the camera:
VC Martin Bean Speaks:
A big thanks to all of you who took the time to complete this year's staff survey and have your say about working at RMIT.
We had a terrific participation rate of 74% of fixed term and continuing staff, which gave us a meaningful amount of information to analyse.
The staff survey is one of the ways we bring the diverse perspectives of our people to bear on our future and ensure we live our values.
Overall, our staff engagement result remains steady at 56%.
This year we adjusted two of our questions slightly, so our annual engagement barometer has shifted from 8 to 6 key questions allowing us to make an accurate year-on-year comparison.
I'd have preferred an uptick, but I know we're asking a lot of you right now and realise we have more work to do as a leadership group to ensure all of you feel as valued and connected as you should.
You'll get into the detail within your College or Portfolio, but I wanted to share a few of the results with you.
I was delighted to see, that like me, you enjoy your work, you feel we're collaborating better, we're focusing more on research, diversity and inclusion are recognised as priorities, and your input into decision making has improved.
Conversely, there are clear areas that need attention.
We need to continue to refine how we manage change, push hard on our efforts to simplify our systems and processes, and our leaders need be present and engaged.
Please be assured that I'm tasking my team and their teams to respond to your feedback as a priority, so we continue to ensure RMIT is a great place to be, for our people as well as our students.
Keep up the great work, take care of each other and again, thank you.
Video player instructions
The following instructions will assist you to control the video player using the keyboard.
Starting and stopping the video
- Use the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination to navigate the video player controls.
- Navigate to the Play button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between play and pause.
- Navigate to the closed captions button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to open the closed captions menu.
- Navigate to the preferred close captions option using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to activate the close caption option.
- Navigate to the volume slider using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the left or right arrow to decrease and increase the volume.
- Navigate to the full screen button using the Tab or Shift + Tab keyboard combination.
- Press the Spacebar or Enter key to toggle between full screen video and normal size.