Are you eligible for HECS-HELP?

Check on the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.

If you’re an Australian Permanent Resident non-Humanitarian Visa holder and/or New Zealand Citizen, go to the Non-Australian citizens page on the Australian Government website. 

Before you apply

How to apply

Step 1. Complete the Application for Commonwealth Assistance form

You’ll be prompted to do this during the enrolment process.

Step 2: Log in to the government portal

The Department of Education and Training will email you with instructions about how to log in to the portal.

Step 3. Indicate that you want a HECS-HELP loan

Indicate this on your eCAF. You must submit your eCAF before you can complete your enrolment.

Step 4. Enter your Tax File Number (TFN)

Enter your TFN or Certificate of application for a TFN.

Unless your TFN successfully validates with the Australian Taxation Office, your HECS-HELP loan will NOT be approved and your Student Contribution will need to be paid in full to RMIT by the due date.

Can’t validate your TFN?

If you get an email advising of problems with your Tax File Number, immediately follow these instructions.

Step 5. Submit your eCAF

Submit your application in the eCAF portal before your first census date.

Step 6. Know and track your loan limit

There's a combined limit to how much you can borrow under HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, VET-FEE-HELP and VET Student Loans. This is called your HELP loan limit.

If you’ve reached your combined HELP loan limit, you’ll need to pay your tuition fees before the census date to ensure that your enrolment isn’t cancelled.

How to check your combined HELP loan limit
  • Find out your current HELP limit and how much of your HELP balance you have left to borrow by visiting myHELP balance portal.
More information

Remember to pay your non-tuition fees

Your HECS-HELP Loan doesn’t cover the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) or other administrative fees. You may be eligible to apply for SA-HELP to cover SSAF. Otherwise, you’ll need to pay it upfront.

How do I know if my HECS-HELP application has been approved?

You can view the status of your HECS-HELP loan in Enrolment Online:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online
  • Select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select Manage Commonwealth assistance and optional loans to view the status of your loan.

You’ll also be issued with a HECS-HELP approval letter in Enrolment Online. To view and print your HECS-HELP approval letter:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online.
  • Select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth assistance approval letter.

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice

RMIT will issue you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) within 28 days of each class census date.  A notification email will be sent to your RMIT student email account and your nominated personal email when your CAN is available.

The CAN will outline the HECS-HELP debt you've incurred and any upfront payments you've made towards your fees. If there are any discrepancies between your HECS-HELP debt and the amount you were expecting to pay, you have 14 days from the CAN issue date to submit a written request for a correction.

To view or print your Commonwealth Assistance Notice:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online and select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs).

Starting a new program?

If you change your program and/or enrol in a new program, you’ll need to submit a new Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP assistance form for that program following the steps above.