Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is an official statement from RMIT outlining the HELP loan or student contribution payment option you have chosen and any HELP assistance you have received. A CAN is issued to you if, after the census date, you have deferred fees to HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, a VET Student Loan and/or you are studying in a Commonwealth supported place.

The CAN is not an invoice. Your CAN is a reflection of the current semester’s student contribution or tuition fee charges only. All other fees are itemised on your invoice and do not appear on the CAN.

How to access your CAN

To view or print your CAN:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online and select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs).

Correcting errors on your CAN

You have the right to request the correction of information contained in your CAN within 14 days of the date the notice was issued.

If you believe that the information on your CAN is incorrect you must submit a written request to RMIT Connect for the CAN to be corrected. RMIT is obliged to correct any 'university errors' and issue a new CAN to reflect the correct details.

Errors made by the student will not be corrected and, depending on the error, you may remain fee liable or incur academic penalties.

How to read your CAN:

Keep track of your loan limit

VET Student Loans have a loan cap for each eligible program. You can view the cap amount for your program, and the amount you have used at RMIT, on the last page of your tax invoice.

VET Student loans also contribute to your FEE-HELP lifetime loan limit.

The FEE‑HELP lifetime loan limit is the total amount available to eligible students under the FEE‑HELP, VET Student Loans and VET FEE‑HELP loan schemes. This means that any amount you borrow under FEE‑HELP, VET Student Loans or VET FEE‑HELP will reduce your FEE‑HELP balance until you have reached the FEE‑HELP limit.

It is your responsibility to keep track of your FEE-HELP limit. If you reach your FEE-HELP limit, all future tuition fees must be paid upfront.

VET Student Loan progression requirements

If you have an approved VET Student Loan you are required to complete a progression survey via the government's eCAF portal at key points throughout your program/s.

When you are required to complete a progression survey, the Department of Education will send you an email with a passkey to log into the eCAF portal to complete your survey.

You will have 2 weeks to complete your survey. Failure to do so may impact your VET Student Loan.

Remission of debt

If, because of special circumstances, you need to withdraw from your program/course after the census date then you may apply to have your HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP of VET Student Loan debt remitted (removed).

For more information, including a definition of special circumstances and when your application must be submitted, please download the Application for remission (removal) of debt in special circumstances form.

More information

For more information about the Commonwealth loans schemes, and eligibility requirements visit Study Assist.

If you have a query about your eCAF, CAN, or VET Student Loan progression survey, contact RMIT Connect.