Drawing upon a qualitative research framework encompassing six universities, our study undertakes a thorough examination of the design and organization of business talk events aimed at raising consciousness surrounding social entrepreneurship and UN SDGs.
Unlocking New Horizons
Our study sheds the lights on barriers, drivers and impacts of business talk events organized by universities to UN SDGs and SE:
1. Barriers to University Business Talk Events:
- Lack of support from stakeholders: The absence of backing from key stakeholders poses a significant hurdle in organizing impactful business talk events.
- Lack of support from the government: Insufficient government support can impede the success and reach of university business talk events.
- Lack of awareness: Limited awareness among potential participants and attendees can hinder the effectiveness of these events.
- Lack of resources: Inadequate resources, including funding and infrastructure, may present challenges in organizing and executing university business talk events.
2. Drivers of University Business Talk Events:
- Gaining competitive advantages: University business talk events serve as a platform to gain a competitive edge by showcasing knowledge, expertise, and thought leadership.
- Image enhancement: These events offer an opportunity to enhance the reputation and image of the university as a hub for knowledge dissemination and engagement.
- Demand from stakeholders: The demand from various stakeholders, including students, faculty, industry professionals, and the wider community, can drive the organization of university business talk events.
- Alignment with the university's policy/mission statement: University business talk events align with the institutional policy and mission, reinforcing the commitment to knowledge exchange, innovation, and societal impact.
3. Implications of University Business Talk Events:
- Generating attention for positive change: These events have the potential to captivate audiences and shed light on important issues, driving positive transformations in perceptions, attitudes, and behaviours.
- Creating a positive emotional environment: University business talk events can foster an atmosphere of inspiration, motivation, and emotional connection, empowering attendees to embrace innovative ideas and approaches.
- Building networks and sustaining connections: These events serve as a catalyst for networking opportunities, facilitating meaningful connections among participants, industry experts, and stakeholders, leading to collaborative initiatives and long-lasting relationships.
Our research highlights the role of university business talk events in supporting the dissemination of UN SDGs and SEs. These events offer an effective platform to generate attention and foster positive emotional environments, encouraging businesses to make sustainable changes. Moreover, these events provide valuable support for social entrepreneurs, enabling them to expand their networks and establish connections with other businesses and communities. Additionally, our research underscores the significant contribution of universities beyond their traditional roles of teaching and research. By actively promoting SEs and UN SDGs through these events, universities play a pivotal role in disseminating knowledge and driving positive societal change. Recognizing the potential of university business talk events, organizations can leverage them to create meaningful impacts, build sustainable connections, and contribute to a better future aligned with the principles of SE and the UN SDGs.
Find out more here.