Unique Student Identifier (USI): From 2021, the Australian Government requires all domestic higher education students accessing a Commonwealth assistance loan to provide a Unique Student Identifier (USI).  If you don’t provide your USI, you can’t access a Commonwealth assistance loan.

Over the next few years, the USI will replace the Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) and will be required of every student before graduation.

1. Are you eligible for a HELP loan or VET Student Loan?

You may be eligible for a HELP loan or VET Student Loan depending on criteria such as your citizenship status, and whether you're in an undergraduate, postgraduate or vocational education program. 

Find out if you're eligible on the Australian Government's Study Assist website.

2. How to apply 

Eligible? Select the loan type below to find out when and how to apply for your loan. 

3. Make sure your loan is approved

Check the status of your loan in Enrolment Online:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online
  • Select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select Manage Commonwealth assistance and optional loans to view the status of your loan.

If your loan has been approved you’ll also be issued with a loan approval letter in Enrolment Online.

To view and print your loan approval letter:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online.
  • Select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth assistance approval letter.

If you haven't been issued with a loan approval letter, you can't defer your fees and must pay them by the due date.

Know your HELP loan and VET Student Loan responsibilites

Keep track of your debt and complete all requirements to keep your HELP loan or VET Student Loan.  Find out how.

Know your census date

This is the deadline for finalising your HELP loan or VET Student Loan.

Go to Enrolment Online