Senior Lecturer, Graduate School of Business and Law
Vanessa is a Senior Lecturer in the Graduate School of Business and Law at RMIT, teaching and researching in areas of property law, climate change, and sustainable transport. She is the Leader of Climate Change Research at the RMIT Research Centre for Business and Human Rights.
Her research has been published in a range of formats by reputable publishers such as Routledge and Edward Elgar, and in journals such as the University of New South Wales Law Review, the Australian Property Law Journal, and the Environmental Planning Law Journal. Her work often focusses on interdisciplinary issues, where she contributes a legal perspective (along with road safety and design experts) to provide research outcomes on sustainable transport issues that form the basis of government, industry, and community consultation. She regularly acts as an expert consultant to Government; and has attended international events as an expert participant, including as an observer to the 23rd Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in Bonn, Germany.
Prior to commencing her academic career, she practised law for more than eight years in small and mid-sized commercial law firms in property, tax and revenue. She remains involved with the legal profession as a regular presenter for the Law Institute of Victoria's Continuing Professional Development program.
Contact me about
- Research supervision
- Consulting work
- Industry and community speaking events
for projects relating to property law, environmental law, climate change, environmental taxation/pricing, sustainable transport.
Teaching and Coordination (Melbourne)
- Introduction to Australian Legal Systems
- Australian Property Law
- Doctor of Philosophy, Law (Monash University, Australia) 2016
- Master of Laws (Commercial Law) (Monash University, Australia) 2009
- Admission to Legal Practice, (Victoria, Federal jurisdictions) 2006
- Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Law (Hons) (University of Melbourne, Australia) 2005
- Madgwicks (Melbourne) 2008-2014
- Ambry Legal (Melbourne) 2006-2008
- Kallies, A.,Johnston, V. (2021). How the Law Contributes to Protecting Energy Infrastructure from Extreme Weather Events: An Australian Case Study In: The Palgrave Handbook of Climate Resilient Societies, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Napper, R.,Johnson, M.,Johnston, V. (2021). Safety, Design, and the Law: A New Interdisciplinary Approach to Bicycle Rider Road Safety In: Advancing a Design Approach to Enriching Public Mobility, Springer , Switzerland
- Johnston, V.,Ghebretekle, T.,Kraski, R.,Nielsen, J.,Miola, A.,Shinde, M. (2020). Resolution of Environmental Disputes In: Environmental Law Across Cultures, Taylor and Francis, United Kingdom
- Johnston, V.,France-Hudson, B. (2019). Implications of climate change for western concepts of ownership: Australian case study In: University of New South Wales Law Journal, 42, 869 - 898
- Johnston, V. (2017). An Australian Road Transport Carbon Price: A comparative analysis, Australian Tax Research Foundation, Sydney, Australia
- Pearce, P.,Johnston, V. (2016). A new fast lane or just a roadblock? Mitigating road transport GHG emissions under Australia’s emissions reduction fund In: Environmental and Planning Law Journal, 33, 181 - 202
- Johnston, V. (2016). Rights and Interests in Land Created under the Carbon Credits Act 2011 (Cth): Theoretical and Practical Issues In: Australian Property Law Journal, 25, 199 - 218