Medical physics and medical radiations
Research areas: Medical imaging, radiation therapy, medical devices, medical radiations, machine learning.
Professor Ricky O'Brien is the Director of Medical Imaging Facilities (Bundoora West) where he leads large scale NHMRC grants (NHMRC Synergy and Development grant) developing new imaging techniques and devices in radiotherapy and medical imaging. As such, his research has a strong cross disciplinary element, with his research and research collaborations including clinical disciplines, biomedical engineering, physics, applied mathematics and machine learning. The primary application of his research has been in the radiotherapy and the trauma imaging setting where his patented research has led to the formation of start-up companies with TGA and FDA regulatory approved medical devices.
Due to the cross disciplinary nature of his research, Professor O'Brien has supervised research students from a range of disciplines including applied science (mathematics, physics), engineering (machine learning, biomedical engineering) and medical radiations. His research program has been well funded by NHMRC and Cancer Australia grants which has provided HDR research students and postdocs the opportunity to present their work at the largest international conferences in our field.
- Leads a $5M NHMRC Synergy grant to develop cardaic radiation ablation in Australia.
- Leads NHMRC Development grants on lung ventilation imaging and 4DCBCT imaging.
- Director of Medical Imaging Facitles at RMIT.
- PhD Applied Mathematics -- UWA
- Bachelor Applied Science with first class honours - RMIT University.
- Prior to their academic appointment, Ricky worked in industry at EOS Space Systems and Optimo Financial.
- Co-founder of Opus Medical.
- Inventor on key IP for SeeTreat a radiotherapy startup.
- Blake, S.,Dillon, O.,Byrne, H.,O'Brien, R. (2023). Thoracic motion-compensated cone-beam computed tomography in under 20 seconds on a fast-rotating linac: A simulation study In: Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics, 24, 1 - 10
- Reynolds, T.,Hatamikia, S.,Ma, Y.,Dillon, O.,Gang, G.,Stayman, J.,O'Brien, R. (2023). Technical note: Extended longitudinal and lateral 3D imaging with a continuous dual-isocenter CBCT scan In: Medical Physics, 50, 2372 - 2379
- Lau, B.,Dillon, O.,Vinod, S.,O'Brien, R.,Reynolds, T. (2023). Faster and lower dose imaging: evaluating adaptive, constant gantry velocity and angular separation in fast low-dose 4D cone beam CT imaging In: Medical Physics, , 1 - 19
- Dillon, O.,Reynolds, T.,O'Brien, R. (2023). X-ray source arrays for volumetric imaging during radiotherapy treatment In: Scientific Reports, 13, 1 - 13
- Morton, N.,Keall, P.,O'Brien, R.,Reynolds, T. (2022). CArdiac and REspiratory adaptive Computed Tomography (CARE-CT): a proof-of-concept digital phantom study In: Physical and Engineering Sciences in Medicine, 45, 1257 - 1271
- Reducing the impact of radiation on the heart for cancer and cardiac disease patients. Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council Synergy Grants from (2023 to 2027)
- 2021 NHMRC Development Grant - Lung Ventilation Imaging: A new device to protect the lungs for cancer treatment (APP2014095).. Funded by: NHMRC Development Grant 2018 onwards from (2022 to 2025)
- A New Medical Device for Fast, Low Dose Cancer Patient Imaging in Radiotherapy (GNT1172086). Funded by: NHMRC Development Grants from (2020 to 2024)
3 PhD Current Supervisions